İÇDAŞ Biga-1 power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
İÇDAŞ Biga-1 power station, also known as İÇDAŞ power station or Çanakkale Değirmencik power station or Değirmencik Termik Santrali is a 405-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Çanakkale province, Turkey. Together with the later separate but nearby İÇDAŞ Bekirli-2 power station İÇDAŞ refers to them both as İÇDAŞ Bekirli power station.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is near Değirmencik village, Biga district, Çanakkale province.
Background on Plant
In December 2007, industrial conglomerate İÇDAŞ received permits to build a three-unit, 405-MW coal-fired power plant as part of the larger İÇDAŞ Değirmencik Integrated Plant that it was planning to build in Çanakkale province — along with a shipyard, port facilities, and a steel mill. Although the plant was licensed at 405 MW, it was built at 389 MW.
After the plant was given an environmental award by the Turkish government in September 2013, the decision was mocked by the local news media, who pointed out the significant increase in pollution in the area since the plant was built, resulting in fish die-offs in the area.
- Sponsor: İÇDAŞ Çelik Enerji Tersane ve Ulaşım Sanayi A.Ş. (İÇDAŞ Shipyards Steel Energy and Transportation Industries, Inc.)
- Parent company:
- Location: Değirmencik village, Biga district, Çanakkale province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 40.44380, 27.13067 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 405 MW
- In service: 2005 (unit 1), 2009 (units 2-3)
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
- WRI ID: WRI1018714
- EBC ID: TR-8
Articles and resources
- İÇDAŞ Sustainability Report 2011-2012, p. 9 & others, accessed Mar. 2014.
- İÇDAŞ Termik Santrali, Kara Atlas, accessed Mar. 2014.
- 13 ödüllü çevre kirliliği, Evrensel, Jan. 7, 2014.
- İÇDAŞ şirketinin Çanakkale/Biga ve çevresinde yarattığı kirlilikle ilgili soru önergeleri hk., Ege Habercisi, Jan. 17, 2014.