|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The Dartbrook Mine is a proposed mine project with underground and open cut operations in Hunter Valley, New South Wales, Australia.
The photo below shows the approximate location of the proposed mine, 30km north east of Moranbah.
The Dartbook mine was mothballed in 2006, but in 2017, Australian Pacific Coal applied to recommence underground mine operations and began studies on the feasibility of open cut mining. With regards to the recommencing underground operations, the New South Wales Department of Planning & Environment issued a positive recommendation on the proposed modification in January 2019, and referred the proposal to the Independent Planning Commission.
The Dartbrook mine was authorized to re-open as an underground 'bord-and-pillar' mine in August 2019. However, Australian Pacific Coal had also applied for a five-year extension on the mine's life, so it could operate until 2027. This was denied by the Independent Planning Commission. Instead, the IPC's decision would allow the mine to continue operations until 2022.
Australian Pacific Coal has said the time limit is too short "to justify the capital expenditure."
Meanwhile, an Open Cut Pre-Feasibility Study for Dartbrook mine was completed in March 2018. Thusfar, Australian Pacific Coal lodged a Gateway Application for the Project in May 2018. The company also planned to lodge a Request for Secretary’s Environmental Assessment Requirements (SEARs) for the Project with DPE in May 2018.
The proposed open cut mine would extract of up to 10 Mtpa ROM coal for up to 24 years, following a two year construction period.
Opposition to the project include the Hunter Thoroughbred Breeders Association, who fear that the decision is a step towards open cut mining, and the Friend of the Upper Hunter, who are concerned about potential air quality impacts.
- Sponsor: Australian Pacific Coal
- Parent Company:
- Location: Hunter Valley, New South Wales, Australia
- GPS Coordinates: -32.1929124,150.894282 (exact)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 1.5 mtpa for underground, 10 mtpa for open cut
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 572 million tonnes
- Coal type: thermal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: underground/open cut<ref name="newsletter">
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Amelia Bernasconi and Eliza Goetze,Dartbrook coal mine approved to recommence operations in the Upper Hunter, August 8 2019.
- Australian Pacific Coal,Open Cut Pre-Feasibility Study for Dartbrook Project, March 28, 2018
- "Dartbrook Underground," "Australian Pacific Coal website," accessed June 2020.
- "Open Cut Study," "Australian Pacific Coal website," accessed June 2020.
- Despite Strong Community Opposition The IPC says Dartbrook can Reopen until 2022, The Singleton Argus, August 9 2019