GHC Emirates Steel Industries Abu Dhabi plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
GHC Emirates Steel Industries Abu Dhabi plant (حديد الإمارات (Arabic)) (also known as ESI) is a 3500-thousand tonnes per annum (ttpa) direct reduced iron-electric arc furnace (DRI-EAF) steel plant in Abu Dhabi, in United Arab Emirates. GHC Emirates Steel Industries Abu Dhabi plant operates a direct reduced iron (DRI) and electric arc furnace (EAF).
The map below shows the exact location of the steel plant in Abu Dhabi Industrial City, in United Arab Emirates.
The GHC Emirates Steel Industries plant in Abu Dhabi is the world's first fully commercial carbon capture (CCUS) steel project. Though actual carbon capture rates have not been reported since the CCUS facility began operating in 2016, the plant has the ability to capture up to 800 ttpa CO2 emissions to be used for enhanced oil recovery (EOR) at nearby oil recovery fields.
- Alternative plant names: ESI
- Other language plant name: حديد الإمارات (Arabic)
- Location: Plot #10E6 7th St, Abu Dhabi Industrial City ICAD, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- GPS Coordinates: 24.322033, 54.467987 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 1998
- State-owned entity status: full
- Parent company: General Holding Corporation PJSC [100%]
- Parent company PermID: 5000009106
- Owner: Emirates Steel Industries Company PJS
- Owner company PermID: 5000464115
- Crude steel production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum): 3500.0
- Electric arc furnace (EAF): 3500
- Crude Iron production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum): 1900
- Sponge iron/Direct reduced iron: 1900
- Steel product category: semi-finished; finished rolled
- Steel products: rebar, wire rod, heavy sections, sheet piles, billet, rebar in coils
- Steel sector end users: automotive; building and infrastructure; energy; transport
- Workforce size: 3000
- ISO14001 certification: yes
- Main production equipment: direct reduced iron (DRI) and electric arc furnace (EAF)
- Detailed production equipment: DRI plant; EAF (number unknown)
Articles and Resources
- Abu Dhabi starts up world’s first commercial steel carbon capture project, Anthony McAuley, The National News, Nov. 5, 2016
- Al Reyadah Carbon Capture, Use, and Storage (CCUS) Project, CSL Forum, Retrieved on: May 10, 2021
- Case Study: Al Reyadah CCUS Project, Dipak Sakaria, BDM - Abu Dhabi Carbon Capture Company - Al Reyadah, May 2, 2017
- "Media". Emirates Steel. Archived from the original on March 20, 2022. Retrieved March 20, 2022.
- "Emirates Steel Industries Co. P J S (Emirates Steel), UAE - Company Information, Key People, Latest News and Contact Details - ZAWYA MENA Edition". Zawya. Archived from the original on January 13, 2022. Retrieved January 18, 2022.
- "Emirates Steel Launches Tender Plant Phase 3". Senaat steel. Retrieved 2022-04-07.
- "Our Journey". Archived from the original on January 25, 2022. Retrieved January 25, 2022.
- "Product Range". Archived from the original on January 25, 2022. Retrieved January 25, 2022.
- "Quality Assurance". Emirates Steel. Retrieved 2022-04-07.
- Emirates Steel inks deal with Ecofer to upcycle 1.6 million tonnes of slag, Jack Ball, Construction Week, May 21, 2019, Retrieved on: Sep. 9, 2020