Goedgevonden coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The Goedgevonden (GVV) coal mine is a surface mine, operated by Goedgevonden Coal Ltd, as a joint venture of Glencore and African Rainbow Minerals (ARM), producing an average of 7 million tonnes per annum, near Ogies, in Emalahleni, Nkangala, Mpumalanga province, South Africa.
The map below shows the location of the mine, near Ogies, in Emalahleni, Nkangala, Mpumalanga province, South Africa.
The Goedgevonden coal mine began operation in 2004. Open-cut mining methods are utilized at Goedgevonden, which produces both export and domestic thermal coal.
In April 2019, a report by the Centre of Environmental Rights found that found eight coal mining companies in Mpumalanga had failed to comply with water use licences and threatened the quality and availability of water in the area. This included the Goedgevonden coal mine.
According to an article by The Citizen, "The research revealed that not one of the companies took responsibility for the contamination of rivers caused by water leaving their sites during rainy conditions."
- Operator: Goedgevonden Coal Ltd
- Owners: Glencore (74%) and African Rainbow Minerals (ARM; 26%)
- Location: near Ogies, in Emalahleni municipality, Nkangala district, Mpumalanga province, South Africa.
- GPS Coordinates: -26.09972,29.07316 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 9.2 mtpa (2021)
- Total Resource: 480 million tons
- Mineable Reserves: 270 million tons
- Coal type: Thermal
- Workforce Size: 350
- Mine Type: Surface, open pit
- Mine Size:
- Start Year: 2004
- Source of Financing:
Articles and Resources
- African Rainbow Minerals, "Goedgevonden", ARM website, accessed June 2020.
- Sinesipho Schrieber,"Dept must act against coal mines polluting water – CER," "The Citizen," April 12, 2019.
- Mineral Resources and Mineral Reserves report 2021, African Rainbow Minerals, Accessed July 2022.
- Goedgevonden Coal Mine is Up and Running, Mining Weekly, May 31, 2009