|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Gokul Coal Mine is operated by Western Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India, located in the Village of Piraya, Tehsil Bhivapur, District Nagpur in the State of Maharashtra, India.
The satellite image below shows the area of the mine in Piraya village, Bhivapur Tehsil, Nagpur District, Maharashtra.
Background on Mine
The Gokul Opencast Expansion Project of 1.875 MTPA on ML area of 756.92 Ha is located in Village Piraya, Tehsil Bhivapur, District Nagpur in the State of Maharashtra, India. The main consumers of the mine are thermal plants of MAHAGENCO and miscellaneous consumers.
The Gokul opencast mine project first got an environment clearance for 1.0 MTPA on a mining lease (ML) area of 767.17 Ha vide letter EC J-11015/1001 /2007- IA.II(M)on 7 January, 2011.. The Gokul OCP further got environment clearnce for its expansion to 1.875 MTPA over an amended ML of 756.92 Ha on 13 February 2017 vide letter No.J-1 1015/1001 /2007-IA.II(M) from MoEF&CC. The terms of the EC were further revised on 10 January 2018 by the MoEF&CC India vide letter no J-11015/1001/2007-IA.II(M).
- Sponsor: Western Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India Limited
- Location: Village Piraya, Tehsil Bhivapur, District Nagpur, State Maharashtra
- GPS coordinates: 20.6697222, 79.296388888
- Status: Operating
- Production: 1.875 million tonnes per annum (2020)
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 14.5 million tonnes (Proven and Probable, 2017) 
- Coal Type: G-7 Grade
- Mine Size: 756.92 Ha
- Mine Type: Opencast
- Start Year: 2017
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications:Environment Clearance for Gokul Opencast Expansion Project, MoEF&CC India, 13 February, 2017
- Size of Expansion:
- Permits and Applications:
Articles and Resources
- Environment Clearance for Gokul Opencast Expansion Project, MoEF&CC 13 February, 2017
- Amended Environment Clearance for Gokul Opencast Expansion Project, MoEF&CC 10 January, 2018
- Environmental Clearance, "Expansion of Gokul OCP", Western Coal website, accessed May 2021
- Environment Compliance Report from WCL to MoEF&CC, 4 July 2018