Gurmin Enerji Amasya power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Gürmin Enerji Amasya power station is a proposed 300-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Amasya province, Turkey.
The map below shows the location of Kayadüzü village, the approximate location where the plant would be built in Merzifon district, Amasya province.
Background on Plant
In April 2013, Soma Holding received a permit to build a coal mine and 270-405 MW mine-to-mouth coal-fired power plant in Amasya province. The company planned to further assess the mine's reserves, and decide based on that whether to build a plant of two or three 135-MW units. In May 2013, Soma Holding began initial production at the new Amasya Merzifon coal mine.
Soma Holding's license application is for a 300 MW plant.
In February 2014, Soma Holding held the first of a series of public hearings. Locals and environmentalists expressed opposition to the proposed plant and its effects on local agriculture. On 13 May 2014, an explosion at a Soma Holding coal mine in Soma caused an underground coal seam fire, which burned until 15 May. The disaster killed 301 people, and is the worst mine disaster in Turkey's history.
After the disaster opposition to the power plant increased, and the EIA process was suspended on 25 August 2016. In December 2017 the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization decided to terminate the EIA process of the project, as the revision report was not submitted for 13 months after the suspension date and the company did not provide any information.
- Sponsor: Soma Holding
- Parent company:
- Location: Kayadüzü village, Merzifon district, Amasya province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 40.889, 35.597 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross capacity: 300 MW
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed
- Projected in service:
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source: Amasya Merzifon coal mine, Turkey
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Soma Holding Yeni Çeltek`e 405 MW`lik santral kuracak, Enerji Günlüğü, Apr. 29, 2013.
- Kömür Madenciliği: Merzifon Bölgesi, Soma Holding website, accessed May 2014.
- Alp Gürkan, Merzifon’da kömür üretimine başlıyor, Enerji Günlüğü, May 3, 2013.
- Kayadüzü halkı termiğe karşı halk toplantısında buluştu, Muhalefet, Feb. 2, 2014.
- "Turkish mine disaster: Unions call protest strike". BBC News. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- Constanze Letsch. "Turkey: miners and mourners scorn government that 'laughs at our pain'". the Guardian. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- "Turkey mine disaster: firm claims 'unprecedented' fire". TurkishPress.com. 15 May 2014. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Four people arrested over Turkey mine disaster". TurkishPress.com. 18 May 2014. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Amasya'da termik santral kâbusu son buldu," Birgün Gazetesi, Dec 27, 2017