Middlemount coal mine
The project is located 6 kilometres south-west of Middlemount in the Bowen Basin in Queensland.
The mine was formerly owned by Macarthur Coal, who completed the purchase of the Middlemount project on 15 January 2008. On its website Macarthur Coal states that coal mining commenced in the bulk sample pit in October 2008 with the mining lease granted in September 2009. The project was scheduled to be commissioned in 2011 and cost $70m to construct. The project employed 160 people during construction and 80 when operating.
- Sponsor:Middlemount Coal Limited
- Parent Company: Peabody Energy, Yan Coal
- Location: Middlemount, Queensland, Australia
- GPS Coordinates: -22.848131, 148.631626 (exact)
- Status: operating
- Production Capacity: 4.1 MTPA
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 123 MT
- Coal type: thermal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: surface
- Mining Method: open cut
- Start Year: 2011
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Middlemount Mine, company website, accessed June 16, 2020
- Macarthur Coal, "Middlemount mine", Macarthur Coal website, accessed August 2010.
- Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics, "Minerals and energy: Major development projects", April 2010. (Pdf). The list is also available in Excel format here.)
- Middlemount, Operations, company website, accessed June 16, 2020