Rohne coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Rohne Opencast Coal mine Project is a proposed 8 million-tonnes-per-annum opencast mine, operated by National Mineral Development Corporation, in the North Karanpura coalfields, District Hazaribagh, Jharkhand, India.
The satellite image below shows the area of the proposed mine in village Barwania, District Hazaribagh, Jharkhand.
Background on Mine
The mine was first allotted to Rohne Coal Company Limited, a joint venture of JSW Steel Ltd., Bhusan Power & Steel Ltd. and Balaji Industries Ltd and received its environment clearance on 23 January 2014. The Project involves R&R of 226 PAFs. Life of the mine at the rated capacity of 8.0 MTPA is 28 years. Public Hearing for the project was held on 21 March 2009..
However, the mine was cancelled by Supreme Court in wake of the coalgate scam and further reallotted to National Mineral Development Corporation in December 2019. NMDC has been allotted Rohne coal mine for sale of coal and will also serve the purpose of captive use of coking coal to NMDC’s upcoming steel plant at Nagarnar, Chattisgarh, the Nagarnar steel plant.
- Sponsor: National Mineral Development Corporation
- Parent company: National Mineral Development Corporation
- Location: villages Barwania, Paseriya, District Hazaribagh, State Jharkand, India
- GPS coordinates: Latitude 23.7416667, 23.7958333 Longitude 85.26666666666667, 85.32916666666667
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 8 MTPA
- Total Resource: 241.735 MT
- Mineable Reserves: 191.54 MT
- Coal Type:
- Mine Size: 820.35 Ha
- Mine Type: Opencast
- Start Year: Approx 2020
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications: Environemnt Clearance for Rhone Coal Mine, MoEF&CC India, 17 May 2007
- Size of Expansion:
- Permits and Applications:
Articles and Resources
- Environemnt Clearance for Rohne Coal Mine, MoEF&CC India, 17 May 2007
- NMDC, RINL allotted one coal mine each by Ministry of Coal, Projects Today, 16 December 2019
- Rohne Coal Mine Summary