Sanko Yumurtalık power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Sanko Yumurtalık power station is a proposed 1,600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Adana province, Turkey.
The map below shows the location of Gölovası village, the approximate location where the plant would be built, in Yumurtalık district, Adıyaman province.
Background on Plant
In October 2010, Sanko Holding announced that its subsidiary Sanko Petrokimya planned to build a 650-MW coal-fired power plant near Gölovası in Yumurtalık district. At a local hearing, Sanko Holding Chairman Abdülkadir Konukoğlu spoke disparagingly about environmental concerns, and responded to questions about how the plant would benefit local residents by stating that Sanko would establish a training facility in order to train locals to take on positions at the completed plant.
As of May 2013 the proposal had apparently been increased to 800 MW. The plant's application was at that point apparently being reviewed by the Energy Market Regulatory Authority (EPDK). As of September 2014, the proposal was still active, with Sanko stating that it hoped to begin construction in 2015 "or later," and referring to the cost as "over $1 billion." In March 2015, the environmental group Adana Environmental Platform stated that the project was still in the environmental permitting stage.
The plant was granted a prelicense in 2015 which expired in 2018. As of June 2019 Turkey's Energy Market Regulatory Authority (EMRA) listed the plant's license as active with an expiration date of April 4, 2020.
In March 2018 the EIA was approved for a second 800-MW unit.
As of June 2019 the production license for Unit 1 had been cancelled, according to CAN Europe. The plant's prelicense expired on April 4, 2020. As of December 2020 the prelicense had been extended by EMRA but Sanko Holding had applied to cancel it. The plant is cancelled.
- Sponsor: Sanko Petrokimya Mam. San. Tic.
- Parent company: Sanko Holding
- Location: Gölovası village, Yumurtalık district, Adana province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 36.876, 35.894 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Detailed Status: Prelicense expired
- Gross capacity: 2 x 800 MW
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed
- Projected in service: 2021
- Coal type:
- Coal source: Imported (Australia, South Africa, South America)
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Sanko'dan Yumurtalık'a Termik Santral, Sanko Enerji press release, Oct. 11, 2010.
- Yatırımcılardan kömür santrallerine yoğun ilgi, Enerji Günlüğü, May 30, 2013.
- Sanko Yumurtalık Termik Santral Projesi, Kara Atlas, accessed Apr. 2014.
- Sanko'dan enerji için 1,4 milyar dolar, Sabah, 24 Aug. 2014.
- Ceyhan – Yumurtalık Sahillerine Kurulmuş Olan ve Kurulması Planlanan Kömür Santrallerinin Listesi, Adana Çevre Platformu, 3 Mar. 2015.
- Electrical Market Associates, EMRA, accessed June 2019
- Sanko Yumurtalık Termik'in kapasite artışına İDK toplantısı, Enerji Günlüğü, 11 Aug. 2017.
- "Sectors/Energy," Sanko Holding, accessed June 2019
- Communication with CAN Europe, June 2019
- Communication with CAN Europe, July 2019
- Communication with CAN Europe, January 2021
- "Elektrik Piyasası Önlisansları,prelicence ÖN/5621-5/03297 expired June 2018" EMRA, accessed April 2018