|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Andres LNG Terminal is a liquified natural gas (LNG) import terminal in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
It is located in Andres, Boca Chica, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
- Parent: AES
- Location: Punta Caucedo, Boca Chica, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Coordinates: 18.406993, -69.628234 (exact)
- Capacity: 1.9 mtpa, 0.27 bcfd
- Additional Proposed Capacity:
- Status: Operating
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 2003
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
AES awarded a lump-sum turnkey engineering, procurement, and construction contract to CB&I for the LNG import terminal. It includes a 160,000 m3 LNG storage tank and three unloading arms capable of unloading LNG vessels at a rate of 10,000 m3 per hour. The terminal provides natural gas to customers in the industrial, transportation and power generation sectors, including the two natural gas-fired power plants operated by DPP (Dominican Power Partners) in Los Mina, 34 km to the west.
In August 2015, AES Dominica announced that it would offer LNG bunkering at the Andres LNG Terminal, and that it had begun work to modify the terminal for LNG reloads onto vessels sized between 10,000 m3 and 60,000 m3. The Andres LNG terminal completed its first LNG reload in February 2017, reloading between 60,000 and 70,000 m3 of LNG from the terminal onto the 138,826 m3 Cadiz Knutsen for delivery to the United Kingdom's Grain LNG Terminal.
In 2018, AES Andres began building the Eastern Gas Pipeline, a project designed to bring natural gas from the Boca Chica terminal to several power plants in the San Pedro de Macorís region. In 2020, the 50-kilometer pipeline began supplying the Quisqueya I, Quisqueya II, and San Pedro de Macoris power plants (starting in February, June and November, respectively).
An expansion plan scheduled for completion in 2023 will increase storage capacity at the Andres LNG Terminal from 160,000 m3 to 280,000 m3.
Articles and resources
- "AES Andres Project in Dominican Republic | Case Studies". IJGlobal. August 11, 2003. Retrieved 2021-01-25.
- Andres LNG Terminal, A Barrel Full, accessed April 2017
- "AES LNG Import Terminal". MDR. Retrieved 2021-01-25.
- "Liquefied natural gas terminal". AES Dominicana. Retrieved 2021-01-25.
- Andres LNG terminal to offer trans-shipment, bunkering, LNG World News, 13 Aug. 2015
- "Dominican Republic's Andres LNG terminal completes first ever reload". S&P Global Platts. 2017-02-14.
- "AES iniciará la construcción de un gasoducto en República Dominicana". Listín Diario. 2018-05-01.
- "Energas and AES break the Dominican Republic's reliance on oil". AES. Retrieved 2021-03-11.
- "DomRep converts oil-based power to gas". Argus Media. 2020-11-09.