Witfontein Coal Project
The Witfontein Coal Project is a proposed greenfields coal project northwest of Bethal, in Mpumalanga, South Africa.
The map below shows the approximate location of the project.
The Witfontein coal project was proposed by Canyon Coal, a coal exploration, mining and processing company. The project has an estimated life of mine of approximately 6 years, based on a ROM production of approximately 150 000 tonnes per month.
According to Canyon Coal's website, "the mining right, environmental authorization, and water use license applications have been submitted and are awaiting approval. Mining will take place through both opencast and underground methods."
- Sponsor: Littlesnipe (Pty) Ltd
- Parent Company: Canyon Coal
- Location: near Bethal, Govan Mbeki municipality, Gert Sibande district, Mpumalanga province.
- GPS Coordinates: -26.399097, 29.3187451 (approximate)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 1.8 Mtpa
- Total Resource: 18.86 Mt
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type:
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: opencast, underground
- Start Year: 2021
- Source of Financing:
Resources and articles
- "Projects," "Canyon Coal," accessed August 2020.
- "BACKGROUND INFORMATION DOCUMENT," "EXM Advisory Services," August 8, 2016.
- Martin Creamer, "Menar’s R7bn coal project pipeline adds 5 600 jobs," "Creamer Media's Engineering News," December 3, 2019.
Related GEM.wiki articles
- "CoAL shirks legal green obligations with big promises" Business Report, August 24 2011