Kilikya power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Kilikya power station is a proposed 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Adana province, Turkey.
The map below shows the location of the plant's site, near Sugözü, Yumurtalık district, Adana province. The plant would be located immediately between İSKEN's Sugözü existing coal plant and the proposed Ayas Enerji Santrali power station.
Background on Plant
In January 2011, Atagür Enerji, a subsidiary of the Besa Group (formerly known as Bezci Construction, after executive Salih Bezci), applied to build a four-unit, 1,320-MW, $3 billion coal-fired power plant in the Yumurtalık district of Adana province.
In August 2013 the Besa Group started moving ahead on the project, announcing that it would build two 330-MW units initially, and an additional two units at a later date. Besa plans to bring the plants online within four years after beginning construction. The construction contractor would be Rönesans Holding.
As of early 2015, construction is scheduled to begin in 2016, and the plant would be completed in 2020. The environmental permitting process began January 2015, with the plant now named "Klikya." The project's cost is listed at 2 billion lira, or $770 million. The project's proponents held an environmental hearing in February 2015. Protesters from Adana Environmental Platform spoke against the proposal at the hearing.
According to the Turkey Energy Market Regulatory Authority website (December 2017), the power station's license was rejected, and it has not received an approved EIA. The project appears to be shelved.
As of December 2019 there has been no progress in more than four years and the project appears to be cancelled.
Plans and dates for Phase 2 are not available. With no progress since the 2011 announcement, plans for phase II appear to be deferred or abandoned.
- Sponsor: Atagür Enerji Üretim İnşaat ve Ticaret A.Ş.
- Parent company: Besa Group
- Location: Sugözü town, Yumurtalık district, Adana province
- Coordinates: 36.82786, 35.87151 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross capacity: 660 MW (Units 1 & 2: 330 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Coal source: Imported (South Africa, Russia, South America)
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Detaylar, EPDK website, accessed Mar. 2014.
- Bezci Termik Enerji Santrali, Kara Atlas, accessed Mar. 2014.
- Bezci, Adana Yumurtalık'a Termik Santral Kuracak, Ankara Chamber of Commerce, Aug. 9, 2013.
- Turkey's Besa Group Plans to Build 1,320 MWe Coal-Fired Power Plant in Adana, SeeNews, Aug. 12, 2013.
- Rönesans Holding ‘Den Yumurtalık’a Termik Santral, Inegöl Haber, 7 Feb. 2015
- KLİKYA TERMİK ELEKTRİK SANTRALI: ÇEVRESEL ETKİ DEĞERLENDİRMESİ BAŞVURU DOSYASI (Environmental Impact Assessment Application File), Çınar Mühendislik Müsavirlik A.S., 29 Dec. 2014.
- Klikya Termik Santrali ÇED süreci başladı, Enerji Günlügü, 6 Jan. 2015.
- Communication with CAN Europe, December 2017