Adani Korba West power station
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Adani Korba West power station is an operating power station of at least 600-megawatts (MW) in Kirodimalnagar, Raigarh, Raigarh, Chhattisgarh, India with multiple units, some of which are not currently operating.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Adani Korba West power station||Kirodimalnagar, Raigarh, Raigarh, Chhattisgarh, India||21.7438, 83.2741 (exact)|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station.
Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):
- Unit 1: 21.7437751, 83.2740927
- Unit 2: 21.7437751, 83.2740927
- Unit 3: 21.7437751, 83.2740927
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Unit 1||operating||coal - bituminous||600 MW||subcritical||2014||-|
|Unit 2||cancelled||coal - bituminous||800 MW||supercritical||-||-|
|Unit 3||cancelled||coal - bituminous||800 MW||supercritical||-||-|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Unit 1||Korba West Power Co||Avantha Group|
|Unit 2||Korba West Power Co||Avantha Group|
|Unit 3||Korba West Power Co||Avantha Group|
Project-level coal details
- Coal source: Domestic
- Permits: Tor 11 mar 2016 at http://bit.ly/20ml3nf
The May 20, 2010 letter from the Ministry of Environment and Forestry grants permission for a 600 MW project, and a phase II of an additional 600 MW was considered for environmental clearance in 2013.
In March 2018 the plant was added to a list of 34 stressed power plants in an Indian parliamentary panel report, due to the size of its debt.
As of June 2020 the project has not received environmental clearance, and plans appear cancelled.
In November 2014 Adani Power was reportedly in talks to buy the 600 MW power station.
As of 2018 Adani has paid more than US$354 million in part-payment for the 600 MW coal-fired power plant. However, Adani reports the acquisition is in dispute due to equipment failures and disagreements with project financiers.
Articles and Resources
- Letter to Korba West Power Company Ltd., Subject: 1x600 MW Coal Based Thermal Power Plant at villages Bade Bhandar, Chote Bhandar, Sarvani & Amali Bhona, in Tehsil & Distt. Raigarh, in Chhattisgarh - Reg. Environmental Clearance, Ministry of Environment & Forests, May 20, 2010.
- "Agenda for 52nd meeting of EAC," India MoEF, Apr 22, 2013
- "Korba West Power Company Ltd: Overview," Avantha Power website, accessed March 2015
- "Avantha synchronizes 1st 600 MW unit in Raigarh, Chhattisgarh," Net Indian, Oct 9, 2013
- "Korba West Power Company Ltd: Recent Activities," Avantha Power & Infrastructure website, accessed November 2013
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, June 2014
- "Adani Godda Power Project Too Expensive, Too Late, and Too Risky for Bangladesh," IEEFA, April 2018
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, March 11, 2016
- "Pre-Feasibility Report: 2x800 MW Korba West Power Company Limited (Phase-II), Korba West Power Company Limited, date unknown
- "Adani Power to buy Avantha Power's Korba West Power unit for $680M," VC Circle, Nov 24, 2014
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.