Adani Korba West power station
Adani Korba West power station is a 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired plant in Chhattisgarh, India.
An additional 1,600 MW was proposed.
The power station is located near the villages of Bade Bhandar, Chote Bhandar, Sarvai, and Amali Bhona. The location is 20 km southwest of Raigarh city.
The May 20, 2010 letter from the Ministry of Environment and Forestry grants permission for a 600 MW project, and a phase II of an additional 600 MW was considered for environmental clearance in 2013.
In March 2018 the plant was added to a list of 34 stressed power plants in an Indian parliamentary panel report, due to the size of its debt.
As of June 2020 the project has not received environmental clearance, and plans appear cancelled.
In November 2014 Adani Power was reportedly in talks to buy the 600 MW power station.
As of 2018 Adani has paid more than US$354 million in part-payment for the 600 MW coal-fired power plant. However, Adani reports the acquisition is in dispute due to equipment failures and disagreements with project financiers.
Sponsor: Korba West Power Company Limited
Parent company: Avantha Group
Location: Bade Bhandar, Chote Bhandar, Sarvai, and Amali Bhona villages in Raigarh Tehsil, Raigarh district, Chhattisgarh
Coordinates: 21.7437751, 83.2740927 (exact)
Status: Phase I: Operating; Phase II: Cancelled
Capacity: Phase I: 600 MW; Phase II: 1,600 MW (Units 2&3: 800 MW)
Start year: 2014 (Unit 1)
Coal Source: SECL
Estimated annual CO2: 7,096,441 tons
Source of financing:
Permits: Terms of Reference for phase II, India MoEF, March 11, 2016
Articles and resources
- Letter to Korba West Power Company Ltd., Subject: 1x600 MW Coal Based Thermal Power Plant at villages Bade Bhandar, Chote Bhandar, Sarvani & Amali Bhona, in Tehsil & Distt. Raigarh, in Chhattisgarh - Reg. Environmental Clearance, Ministry of Environment & Forests, May 20, 2010.
- "Agenda for 52nd meeting of EAC," India MoEF, Apr 22, 2013
- "Korba West Power Company Ltd: Overview," Avantha Power website, accessed March 2015
- "Avantha synchronizes 1st 600 MW unit in Raigarh, Chhattisgarh," Net Indian, Oct 9, 2013
- "Korba West Power Company Ltd: Recent Activities," Avantha Power & Infrastructure website, accessed November 2013
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, June 2014
- "Adani Godda Power Project Too Expensive, Too Late, and Too Risky for Bangladesh," IEEFA, April 2018
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, March 11, 2016
- "Pre-Feasibility Report: 2x800 MW Korba West Power Company Limited (Phase-II), Korba West Power Company Limited, date unknown
- "Adani Power to buy Avantha Power's Korba West Power unit for $680M," VC Circle, Nov 24, 2014