Agios Nikolaos Power Station
Agios Nikolaos Power Station is a 780-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power station in Aghios Nikolaos, Greece.
The map below shows the location of the Agios Nikolaos Power Station.
The power station is owned by Mytilineos. The facility is comprised of 2 units, a 445 MW combined cycle unit and a 334 MW CHP unit. In 2019, Mytilineos announced a proposed 826 MW expansion of the facility. The new unit will also be a combined cycle unit and is expected to be completed in 2021.
In July 2020, the European Investment Bank signed a €125 million loan for the combined cycle unit. In September 2021, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development granted a €75 million loan to finance the construction and operation of the power plant.
Coal project blocked
Previously there was a proposal to build a 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station at the site, at an estimated cost of 890 million euros. The proposed coal-fired power station was sponsored by Mytilineos and Endesa, which had formed a joint venture company named Endesa Hellas.
A securities analyst reported in May 2007 that the company had submitted an application for a power generation license. In July 2007, Endesa Hellas reported that the company aimed to have the "clean coal" plant online by the first half of 2013. (It also flagged that plans for a "clean coal" plant of unstated capacity were under development for a location in Albania).
The project was effectively blocked in 2009 due to a decision by the Greek government to end hard coal imports in favour of using natural gas in future plants.
- Sponsor: Protergia and Aluminium of Greece S.A.
- Parent company: Mytilineos
- Location: Aghios Nikolaos, Boeotia (Viotia), Sterea Ellada (Central Greece)
- Coordinates: 38.3585, 22.6883 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 780 MW
- Gross generating capacity (under construction): 826 MW
- Unit EXT: combined-cycle gas-fired (start-up in 2021)
- Cost: €322 million
- Financing: €125 million loan from the European Investment Bank; €75 million loan from the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Resources and articles
- "Electric Power". Mytilineos. Retrieved February 24, 2020.
- "Greek combined cycle plant to get GE's 100th HA turbine". Power Engineering International. October 7, 2019.
- MYTILINEOS SA - AGIOS NIKOLAOS POWER PLANT, European Investment Bank, Nov. 19, 2019
- Anna Cole-Bailey, EBRD backs Mytilineos CCGT in Greece, IJGlobal, Sep. 7, 2021
- "JV with Endesa provides great prospects in Greece and SE Europe", Beta Securities, May 10, 2007.
- Endesa Hellas, "ENDESA Hellas Board of Directors: Convenes to Decisions", Media Release, July 30, 2007.
- "Greener Power for PPC Plants," Energia.gr, February 13, 2009
- "Power Generation". Protergia. Retrieved February 24, 2020.
- Aluminium SA Profile, Mytilineos, accessed Apr 5, 2021
- Mytilineos, Edison Group, Apr 2019
- Ag. Nikolaos CCGT, 826 MW Combined Cycle, Metka website, accessed April 22, 2020