Aphrodite Gas Field
The Aphrodite Gas Field is located off the coast of Cyprus in the Mediterranean Sea.
The map below shows the location of the gas field in the Mediterranean Sea, off the coast of Cyprus.
The field was discovered in 2011 and production is expected in 2026. A final investment decision is expected after the completion of front-end engineering and design as well as the drilling of an additional appraisal well in 2022.
According to NS Energy, "the Aphrodite field is located adjacent to Israel’s Yishai field in the eastern Mediterranean Sea. A minor portion of the Aphrodite reservoir stretches into the Yishai field. Despite negotiations for last few years, Israel and Cyprus have not reached a resolution on sharing the resources yet." Turkey also contests Cyprus’s claim to offshore gas fields. Turkey wants to redraw the map delineating the areas of sovereignty in the eastern Mediterranean, which it claims was drawn illegally and contrary to Turkish national interests.
- Operator: Noble Energy (35%), Royal Dutch Shell (35%) and Delek Drilling (30%)
- Parent company:
- Location: Mediterranean Sea
- Coordinates: 33.184677, 33.341657 (exact)
- Reserves: 4.5 tcf 2P gas reserves
- Status: Discovered
- "Aphrodite Gas Field, Eastern Mediterranean Sea, Cyprus". NS Energy. Retrieved 2021-02-02.
- "Energy Cooperation and Security in the Eastern Mediterranean: A Seismic Shift towards Peace or Conflict?" (PDF). The S. Daniel Abraham Center for International and Regional Studies. February 2016.
- "A Mediterranean Scramble: Unraveling the Turkish Fight for Natural Gas". The Fuse. August 26, 2020.
- "Index of Oil and Gas Wells in Israel" (PDF). Ministry of Energy. June 7, 2020.