Arnot Power Station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of South Africa|
Arnot power station is a 2,352-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Mpumalanga, South Africa.
The map below shows the location of the plant, near Rietkuil, Nkangala District, Mpumalanga.
Background on Plant
The Arnot Power Station is a coal-fired station owned by the South African publicly-owned electricity utility Eskom, located at Middelburg, Mpumalanga. Construction of Arnot started in 1968, and was commissioned from 1971 to 1975.
The power station comprised six units of 350 MW each. In 2008 Eskom said it planned to commission 60 megawatts upgrades in 2008, a further 60 megawatts in 2009 and a further 30 megawatts in 2010.
In 2015 Eskom gave the unit ratings as follows: 1 x 370 MW; 1 x 390 MW; 2 x 396 MW; 2 x 400 MW for a total of 2,352 MW installed capacity and 2,232 MW nominal capacity.
In April 2016 the Eskom Board said it approved the commencement of a pre-feasibility study for renewal options for four of our oldest power stations - Komati, Camden, Hendrina and Arnot. The pre-feasibility study would take 18 months to complete, and would include looking at options such as plant life extension.
In April 2020, Eskom listed the planned retirement dates for the plant's six units between 2021 and 2029.
- Sponsor: Eskom
- Parent company: Eskom
- Location: Rietkuil, Nkangala District, Mpumalanga, South Africa
- Coordinates: -25.9438068, 29.7920396 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 2,352 MW (Units 1-6: 370 - 400 MW each)
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 1971-75
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and Resources
- "Heritage - Arnot Power Station". Eskom. Retrieved 6 January 2016.
- South African government, "National Response to South Africa's Electricity Shortage", January 2008.
- "Fact sheet with additional information" (PDF). 2015. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- "Eskom Board approves Fleet Renewal Strategy based on economic viability," Eskom, 2016/04/24
- "Response of Eskom to CER, Reference number: PAIA 0087 MAN , CER website, April 28, 2020