Balder oil field
Balder oil field (also known as the Balder complex) is a field producing oil and gas in the North Sea, off the coast of Norway.
The map below shows the location of the field, in the central part of the North Sea, just west of the Grane field.
Balder was discovered in 1967 and its plan for development and operation (PDO) was approved in 1996. It began producing oil in October 1999. Production from the field peaked in 2005 at around 7 million standard cubic meters of oil. According to the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD), "the field is now in the tail phase."
The Ringhorne deposit, including Ringhorne Øst and Ringhorne Jura, is included in the Balder complex. The Ringhorne deposit is located about nine kilometers north of Balder. The most recent PDO specifically for Ringhorne was approved in 2007.
Oil is transported from Balder by tankers. Gas is transported via the Statpipe system to Kårstø and from there on to continental Europe.
The Balder Future project
In December 2019, a revised PDO for the Balder complex was submitted to the Swedish authorities including a plan to extend the lifetime of Balder. According to Vår Energi, the field operator, the extension plan (called the "Balder Future project" and "Balder X Project") aims to extract an additional 136 million barrels of oil equivalent (mboe) by extending production until 2045. Vår Energi states the project includes the drilling of 13 new production wells at a cost of NOK 19.6 billion (2.2 billion USD) aiming to start-up in the summer of 2021.
- Operator: Vår Energi
- Parent company: Vår Energi [90%]; Mime Petroleum [10%]
- Location: North Sea, Norway
- Coordinates: 59.201, 2.387 (exact)
- Reserves: Total recoverable reserves originally - 110 mill. Sm3 o.e.
- Oil recoverable reserves originally - 106.9 mill. Sm3 o.e.
- Gas remaining reserves 3.3 mill. Sm3 o.e.
- NGL remaining reserves 0.0 mill. Sm3 o.e.
- "Field: BALDER". Norwegianpetroleum.no. Retrieved 2021-02-04.
- "Balder X Project, Norway - Balder and Ringhorne fields redevelopment". Retrieved 2021-02-04.
- "All you need to know about the Balder Future project - Vår Energi". Vår Energi. Retrieved 2021-02-04.
- "Map services". www.npd.no. Retrieved 2021-02-03.