Berane Thermal power station
Berane Thermal power station was a proposed 110-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Montenegro.
The map below shows Berane, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
Background on Plant
A 2007 Montenegro Ministry for Economic Development of Montenegro states that the company is investigating coal reserves in the Berane area, and may construct a thermal power station of about 100 MW, if the Berane mine is sold to a private investor willing to invest the funds.
Greek company Restis Group bought Berane coal mine in August 2007, with plans to invest 20 million Euros over the next 10 years in the mine, as well as 100 additional million for building a 110 megawatt thermal power station.
In June 2014 Metalfer and Premogovnik Velenje in Slovenia acquired the mine from the Restis Group.
According to Metalfer's website, "MFE Invest is tasked with analysing, planning and financing the construction of the new Thermal Power Plant in Berane, Montenegro which will be supplied by Metalfer’s Berane coal mine." A strategic partner to MFE Invest is Power China Corporation. The information has later disappeared from the company's website.
The 2014 Energy Development Strategy for Montenegro until 2030 dismisses the project as unviable, citing "difficult conditions of exploitation and small coal reserves, which are not enough for a thermal power plant."
- Sponsor: Rudnik Uglja Berane
- Parent company: Balkan Energy
- Developer: Metalfer
- Location: Berane, Montenegro
- Coordinates: 42.84, 19.86 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Capacity: 110 MW
- Start date:
- Coal Type: Brown coal
- Coal Source: Berane coal mine
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "Energy development Strategy of Montenegro by 2025," Montenegro Ministry for Economic Development of Montenegro, 2007.
- "Coal mine in Berane perhaps a part of Electrocommerce," Vibilia Beta, June 25, 2009.
- "From coal mine Berane announced: Production starts in June," Vijesti, June 3, 2014.
- "Conventional Power," Metalfer website (cached version), accessed June 2014.
- "STRATEGIJA RAZVOJA ENERGETIKE CRNE GORE DO 2030. GODINE," 2014