Bhusawal Thermal Power Station
Bhusawal Thermal Power Station is a 1,210-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Maharashtra, India.
An additional 660 MW is proposed.
The map below shows the location of the project, approximately 8 kilometers away from the city of Bhusawal.
Background on Units 1-3
The existing power station began as a 475 megawatt (MW) power station owned by Maharashtra State Power Generation Company (MSPGCL), a Maharashtra government owned company. It comprised one 55MW unit, which was taken offline in 2010, and two 210 MW units built in 1979-1982.
Unit 2 was retired in 2017.
Units 4 and 5
Unit 4 (500 MW) was commissioned on March 7, 2012.
Unit 5 (also 500 MW) was completed in June 2012.
As of November 2011, the company reported that it has acquired land, fuel, and environmental clearance for Bhusawal TPS Unit 6, a 660MW expansion.
Environmental Clearance was obtained in November 2012.
There were no further developments until March 2020, when plant sponsor MSPGCL submitted an amended application for environmental clearance that included plans for pollution controls.
Project Details of Unit 6
- Sponsor: Maharashtra State Power Generation Company (MSPGCL)
- Location: Pimpri-Sakam village, Bhusawal taluk, Jalgaon district, Maharashtra
- Coordinates: 21.0483, 75.8425 (exact)
- Status: Pre-permit development
- Capacity: 660 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
- Permits and applications: Environmental Clearance for unit 6, India MoEF, November 27, 2012
Resources and articles
- "The Company", Bhusawal Thermal Power Station website, accessed December 2011.
- Maharashtra State Power Generation Company, "Installed Capacity", Maharashtra State Power Generation Company website, accessed November 2011.
- "CEA approval /clearance for retirement of old 210 MW Bhusawal Tharmal Power Unit No. 2," India CEA, Aug 31, 2017
- ALL INDIA REGIONWISE GENERATING INSTALLED CAPACITY (MW) OF POWER UTILITIES INCLUDING ALLOCATED SHARES IN JOINT AND CENTRAL SECTOR UTILITIES, Central Electricity Authority, March 31, 2012
- Maharashtra State Power Generation Company, "Information on Mahagenco's Power Projects: Ongoing Thermal Power Projects – 4730 MW", Maharashtra State Power Generation Company website, August 26, 2011.
- "Information on Mahagenco's Power Projects," November 19, 2011
- Environmental Clearance for unit 6, India MoEF, November 27, 2012
- Amended EC, India MoEF, March 6, 2020
Related SourceWatch articles
- Tata Power
- Tata Ultra Mega
- India and nuclear power
- U.S.- India Civil Nuclear Cooperation Initiative
- Global use and production of coal