The Blackstone Group is a private investment banking firm and describes itself as a "leading global investment and advisory firm." The Blackstone Group was founded in 1985 by a group of four, including Peter G. Peterson and Stephen A. Schwarzman.
The Blackstone Group has ties to American International Group, Inc. (AIG) and Kissinger Associates, Inc./Henry Kissinger. According to the Blackstone website, AIG acquired a 7% non-voting interest in the company in 1998 for $150 million "and committed to invest $1.2 billion in future Blackstone-sponsored funds".
"Blackstone has developed strategic alliances with some of the largest and most sophisticated international financial institutions. In addition to AIG, they include Kissinger Associates, Roland Berger & Partner, GmbH, and Scandinaviska Enskilda Banken," the website states. 
The company's Blackstone Alternative Asset Management unit handles $1 billion in hedge funds for pension giant CalPERS.
In December 2001, The Blackstone Group was appointed as Enron's principal financial advisor with regard to its financial restructuring. The company also advised Enron on "the Sale of its North American Power and Gas Trading Business to UBS". Template:Deadlink
Accessed October 2012: 
- Stephen A. Schwarzman - Chairman, CEO & Co-Founder
- Hamilton E. James - President & Chief Operating Officer
- J. Tomilson Hill - Vice Chairman, The Blackstone Group; President & Chief Executive Officer of Blackstone Alternative Asset Management
- Joseph Baratta (B) - Global Head of Private Equity
- Bennett J. Goodman - Senior Managing Director & Co-Founder of GSO Capital Partners
- Jonathan D. Gray - Senior Managing Director & Global Head of Real Estate
- Joan Solotar - Senior Managing Director & Head of External Relations & Strategy
- Laurence A. Tosi - Senior Managing Director & Chief Financial Officer
- John G. Finley - Senior Managing Director & Chief Legal Officer
- Richard Jenrette - Retired Chairman and CEO, The Equitable Life Assurance Society, Founder, Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette, Inc.
- Jay O. Light - Dean Emeritus, Harvard Business School
- Brian Mulroney - Former Prime Minister of Canada
- William G. Parrett - Retired CEO and Senior Partner, Deloitte (Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu)
Accessed October 2012: 
- Claudio Boada, Lodewijk de Vink, Rupert de Vink, Juergen Dormann, Gerard Errera, Bill Gray, Bob Friedman, Jill Greenthal, Arthur Higgins, Yuji Kage, Dmitri Kushaev, Philippe Meyer, Doug Rogers, Paul "Chip" Schorr, John Schreiber, Yong Kyu Shin, Douglas Steenland, Jean-Michel Steg, Mike S. Zafirovski
Key executives: 
- Stephen A. Schwarzman, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
- Peter G. Peterson, Senior Chairman
- Hamilton E. James, President, Chief Operating Officer
- Michael A. Puglisi, Chief Financial Officer
Selected board members: 
- J. Tomilson Hill, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Funds of Hedge Funds group
- Brian Mulroney, Member of the Board of Directors of Archer Daniels Midland Company
- Lord Nathaniel Charles Jacob Rothschild, Deputy Chairman of British Sky Broadcasting Group
The Blackstone Group
345 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10154
Phone: +1 212 583 5000
Fax: +1 212 583 5712
The Blackstone Group International Limited
5-7 Carlton Gardens
London, SW1Y 5AD
Phone: +44 20 7451 4000
Fax: +44 20 7451 4038
Resources and articles
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Thomas S. Middleton
- Robert L. Friedman, Senior Managing Director
- Jitesh Gadhia, Senior Managing Director in London
- Sir Ronald Grierson - advisor
- Private equity financing for coal plants in India
- Southern Cross Healthcare
- Apria Health
- Ivan Pictet
- Michael B. Hoffman
- Stephen D. Plavin
- Pioneers and Rangers, Texans for Public Justice, accessed July 2007.
- Blackstone Group lobbying expenses, Open Secrets.
- Blackstone Group Board, organizational web page, accessed October 5, 2012.
- Blackstone Group Senior Advisors, organizational web page, accessed October 5, 2012.
- Blackstone Group Officers, Blackstone Group, accessed July 2007.
- Board and Committees, Blackstone Group, accessed July 2007.
- Enron, "Enron files voluntary petitions for Chapter 11 re-organizations; sues Dynegy for breach of contract, seeking damages of at least $10 billion", Press Release, December 2, 2001.
- Simon Romera, "Global's Filings Failed to Note Business Link To Its Adviser", New York Times, March 20, 2002.
- Stonebridge International, "Board of Advisers: Roger C. Altman", undated, accessed February 25, 2004.
- Interactive Social Network Diagram!!!