Calypso Gas Field
The Calypso Gas Field is located off the coast of Cyprus in the Mediterranean Sea.
The map below shows the location of the gas field in the Mediterranean Sea, off the coast of Cyprus.
The field was discovered in 2017.
Turkey contests Cyprus’s claim to offshore gas fields. Turkey wants to redraw the map delineating the areas of sovereignty in the eastern Mediterranean, which it claims was drawn illegally and contrary to Turkish national interests.
- Operator: Eni (50%); Total (50%)
- Parent company:
- Location: Mediterranean Sea
- Coordinates: 33.983, 31.431 (approximate)
- Reserves: 6.4 tcf estimated recoverable gas reserves
- Status: Discovered
- "Energy: Oil & Gas". Cyprus Profile. November 2020.
- "Energy Cooperation and Security in the Eastern Mediterranean: A Seismic Shift towards Peace or Conflict?" (PDF). The S. Daniel Abraham Center for International and Regional Studies. February 2016.
- "A Mediterranean Scramble: Unraveling the Turkish Fight for Natural Gas". The Fuse. August 26, 2020.
- "Energy Research & Consultancy". Wood Mackenzie. May 8, 2020.
- "Giant Gas Field Discovery Offshore Cyprus". GEO ExPro. April 29, 2019.
- Zawadzki, Michele Kambas, Sabina (2019-02-28). "Exxon's Cyprus gas discovery adds another giant to East Med collection". Reuters.