Çan-2 power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Çan-2 power station is a 330-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Çanakkale province, Turkey.
The undated satellite photo below shows the Can-2 plant (at 40.0343524, 26.9505736) approximately one km to northwest of Yaya village and two km northwest of the existing Çan-1 power station (at 40.02023, 26.97560), in Çan district, Çanakkale province.
The photo below provides a closer view of the plant.
Background on Plant
The single-unit 140-MW Çan-2 coal-fired power plant is a project of Çan Kömür ve İnşaat A.Ş., a subsidiary of ODAŞ Group. The plant would be built adjacent to the existing 320-MW Çan-1 power station and the Çan lignite coal mine.
The environmental permitting process for Çan-2 began in December 2013. Most attendees of a public permitting meeting on December 17 voiced opposition to the proposed plant, arguing that the project's proponents were disregarding public health. Residents of Yaya village have also asked that the village be relocated at public costs, citing the destructive effects of the existing plant (as well as the proposed one) on local agriculture.
According to a May 10, 2018, report, the plant had achieved its first firing and was expected to enter commercial operations in June. The plant started commercial electricity production as of 1 August 2018.
In January 2015, a financing agreement for the project was closed. Yapi Kredi and Halkbank agreed to provide US$136.77 million in loans.
In September 2020, a lawyer for the Çan Environment Association, Ümran Aydın, noted that the plant was causing water shortages by depleting underground supplies and drawing water from Kocabaş Stream.
- Sponsor: Çan Kömür ve İnşaat A.Ş.
- Parent company: ODAŞ Group
- Location: Yaya village, Çan district, Çanakkale province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 40.0343524, 26.9505736 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 330 MW
- Start year: 2018
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source: Çan lignite coal mine, Turkey
- Source of financing: US$136.77 million in debt from Yapi Kredi and Halkbank
Articles and resources
- Çan’da “İkinci termik santrale hayır” sesleri, Çan'in Sesi, Dec. 20, 2013.
- ÇAN - 2 Local Coal-Fired Thermal Power Plant Investment, Odas Enerji website, accessed Jan. 2018.
- Çan Termik Santrali 2, Kara Atlas, accessed Mar. 2014.
- Ç.L.İ.MÜDÜRLÜĞÜ ÜRETİM ESASLARI, Ç.L.İ.Müdürlügü website, accessed Mar. 2014.
- Çan-2 Termik Santrali ÇED Süreci Başlıyor, 18 Mart Haber, Dec. 16, 2013.
- Biz ne olacagiz?, Çanakkale Olay, Jan. 17, 2014.
- "Odas Elektrik says CAN-2 Thermal Power Plant is approved," Reuters, Dec 5, 2014
- Energy Market Regulatory Authority (EMRA) 81461157-207-E.31451, August 18, 2015
- "Odaş Enerji Çan 2 Termik Santrali'nin Yüzde 40'ı Tamamlandı," enerjiatlasi, Feb 8, 2016
- "Odaş teknik analizi," Borsa Gündem, Nov 10, 2017
- "ODAŞ ELEKTRİK ÜRETİM SANAYİ TİCARET A.Ş.( Özel Durum Açıklaması (Genel)," Bigpara, 10 May 2018
- "ODAŞ Çan 2 Termik Santrali devrede," Enerji Günlüğü, Aug 1, 2018
- "Preview of Canakkale Thermal Power Plant (330MW) | Transaction | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- "Çan 2 Termik Santrali sularımızı yok ediyor", Canakkale Olay, Sep. 14, 2020
- Çan-2 termik santrali hurda mı?Çanakkale Hedef Gazetesi, Hedef, Sep. 20, 2018
- Çan-2 Thermal Power Plant is in production, cnnturk.com, Sep. 24, 2018
Related SourceWatch articles
Europe Beyond Coal plant ID: TR-25