Çan coal mine

From Global Energy Monitor
(Redirected from Can lignite mine)
This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.


The Çan coal mine, also known as the Çan lignite facility, is surface mine, operated by Çan Linyitleri İşletmesi Müdürlüğü, a TKI subsidiary, producing 2.3 million tonnes per annum, near Can, Canakkale, Turkey.[1]


The map below shows the exact location of the mine headquarters near Can, Canakkale, Turkey.

Loading map...


Between 1940 and 1979 coal mining activities in Çan were undertaken by private enterprises. In 1979 the coalfield was nationalized and it was operated by the Çan Lignite Enterprises since then. Since the establishment of the Çan (18 Mart) power station in 2004, its coal demand has been supplied by the Çan coal mine.[2]

Çan lignite enterprises had 309 employees in 2020, out of which 93 were office workers and 216 were laborers. The same year, TKİ reported that the Çan coal mine produced 2.5 million tons, and had 60.9 million tons in reserves. 96% of the mine's production was supplied to power plants, and the remaining 4% for heating and manufacturing.[3]

Project Details

  • Owner: Çan Linyitleri İşletmesi Müdürlüğü[1]
  • Parent company: TKI[4]
  • Location: Can, Canakkale, Turkey
  • GPS coordinates:40.023827, 27.038636(exact)
  • Mine status: operating[1]
  • Start year: 1979
  • Proven reserves: 60.93 million tons (2020) [3]
  • Coal type: lignite[1]
  • Mine size:
  • Mine type: surface
  • Production: 2.462.671 tons (2020)[3]

Articles and resources


  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 U.S. Department of the Interior, Turkey Mineral Yearbook 2016
  2. (2013) 2012 Yılı Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri, 30. Report.
  3. 3.0 3.1 3.2 (April 2021) 2020 Yılı Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri. Report.
  4. "2014 Minerals Yearbook: Turkey", United States Geological Survey, Sept. 2016, page 46.22

Related GEM.wiki articles

External resources

External articles