Cascade Power Station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Cascade Power Station is a proposed 900-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in the province of Alberta, Canada. It is also known as the Cascade Power Project and the Cascade Power Combined Cycle Power Facility.
The map below shows the approximate location of the proposed power station, southwest of Edson, Yellowhead County, the province of Alberta, Canada.
Cascade Power began planning the Cascade Power Project in January 2018 and had an open house for the local public in August 2018. Later that year, Cascade Power submitted regulatory approval documents.
In August 2019, Cascade Power said approvals for the project were moving slower than anticipated due to concerns by people with First Nations and the Alberta Utilities Commission. Alberta Utilities Commission approved the project in November 2019, and Cascade Power said they were still expecting to break ground early in 2020.
In February 2020, Power Technology reported that construction was "expected to begin in the second quarter of the year."
- Sponsor: Cascade Power Gp Ltd.
- Parent company: Cascade Power Gp Ltd.
- Location: approximately 12 kilometres southwest of Edson, the province of Alberta, Canada
- Coordinates: 53.524882, -116.596103 (approximate)
- Gross capacity (proposed): 900 MW
Articles and Resources
- Cascade Power Project, Alberta government website, accessed Nov. 21, 2019
- Cascade Power July 2018 Open House, Cascade Power website, accessed Nov 2918
- Liam Harrap, New power plant proposal consults the public, Edson Leader, Aug 3, 2018
- Timeline, Cascade Power website, accessed Nov 22, 2019
- Edward Moore, Cascade Power official says power plant project slower than anticipated, Edson Leader, Aug 1, 2019
- Edward Moore, Cascade Power expects construction to start in the spring, Edson Leader, Nov 7, 2019
- Kineticor receives approvals for 900MW combined cycle power plant, Power Technology, February 11, 2020
- Cascade Power Plant Project, Canadian Impact Assessment Registry, Government of Canada, accessed April 2020
- Cascade Power Project Newsletter, July 2018