Balagarh power station
The Balagarh power station is a proposed 1,320 megawatt coal-fired power station in the state of West Bengal, India.
The plant is proposed for Balagarh in West Bengal, India.
The Calcutta Electric Supply Corporation (CESC) is an Indian electricity generation in West Bengal, and is the flagship company of the RP-Sanjiv Goenka Group.
In 2010 CPM demanded that CESC start work immediately for the Balagarh project or would lose the land, as no progress had been made. Shortly after, a resolution to start the project was taken at a meeting of the CESC's board of management, and the company sent an application to Coal India for coal linkage for the proposed 1320-MW plant. The company said the power station would be built in two phases at a cost of Rs 3,200 crore, and would be operationalised by 2013-2014.
In May 2012, the company announced that it would "revive" the Balagarh project. CESC Vice-Chairman Sanjiv Goenka said that the state had promised coal linkage and that three units of 660 MW each would be built. An investment of Rs 10,500 crore would be made by the company. 
In April 2015 it was reported that CESC had retained its coal block in Sarisatolli and would participate in future coal block auctions to make the 1320 MW Balagarh plant viable.
CESC applied for a new terms of reference for a 2 x 660 MW coal plant in April 2015, which was granted in May 2015. The third proposed unit appears to be cancelled.
As of June 2019, there has been no progress on the project in over two years and it appears to be shelved or abandoned.
Parent: RP-Sanjiv Goeka Group
Location: Char Bhabanipur village, Balagarh taluk, Hooghly (Hugli) district, West Bengal
Coordinates: 23.126218, 88.456134 (approximate)
Capacity: 1320 MW (Units 1-2: 660MW)
Projected in service:
Coal Source: Sarisatolli coal block
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Environmental Clearance: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, September 8, 2010; Terms of Reference, India MoEF, May 27, 2015
Resources and articles
- "Stuck for 18 yrs, Balagarh power project moves 10 days after land grab threat," The Indian Express, Apr 30, 2010.
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, September 8, 2010.
- "CESC to double Balagarh capacity," DNA India, Mar 23, 2011.
- "CESC to invest Rs 10,500 cr to revive Balagarh power project," Business Standard News, May 8, 2012
- "CESC set to revive 1,320 mega watt Balagarh power project," DNA, 14 April 2015
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, May 27, 2015
- "Expansion Plans", CESC website, accessed November 2011.