Dornod power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Mongolia and coal|
Dornod power station (which is also referred to as the Choibalsan power plant) is a 36-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Mongolia.
There are plans to expand the power station by 50 MW.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant in Choibalsan, Mongolia.
Description of Expansion
The Ministry of Energy has announced plans to expand the plant by 100 MW.
In 2013 the government of Mongolia's Energy Ministry "received a financial contribution from the KfW development bank" towards what was described as the "Energy Efficiency Program II". As a part of the project tenders were called for the "preparation of a feasibility study for the rehabilitation" of the Choibalsan power station.
A May 2014 brochure for the Energy Mongolia International Conference & Expo refers to a 100 MW expansion of the Dornod power plant as one project in which international investment is being sought.
A groundbreaking ceremony was held for the new unit on November 8, 2019.
In September 2020 it was reported that work on the new unit was 36% complete.
Project Details of Expansion
- Sponsor: Mongolia Central Energy System
- Parent company:
- Location: Choibalsan, Dornod, Mongolia
- Coordinates: 48.089877, 114.541569 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Gross Capacity: 50 MW
- Projected in service: 2021
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Prophecy Coal, "Chandgana Mine Mouth 600MW Power Plant Project", July 2013, page 8.
- "Increasing electricity capacity key to meeting growing demand in Mongolia's energy sector," Oxford Report, 2015
- "Construction works for new Thermal Power Plant V in Ulanbataar will be started in June 2014, says Energy Minister", InfoMongolia, February 4, 2014.
- "Feasibility Study for the Rehabilitation of Two Thermal Power Plants in Mongolia", Devex, August 27, 2013.
- "Energy Mongolia International Conference & Expo", page 6.
- "The Economic Recovery Program of Mongolia 2016-2020," Dec 16, 2016
- "Mongolia Third National Communication," UNFCCC, Oct 14, 2018
- "“ДБЭХС” ТӨХК-ийн 50 МВТ-ийн өргөтгөлийн шав тавих ёслолын ажиллагаа боллоо," Мэдээ мэдээлэл, 2019-11-08
- "“Чойбалсангийн дулааны цахилгаан станц” ТӨХК-ийн өргөтгөлийн барилга угсралтын энэ оны төлөвлөгөөт ажил 36 хувьтай үргэлжилж байна," energy.gov.mn, 2020-09-30