Coega LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Coega LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG import terminal in Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. There have been no development updates since 2017 and the project is presumed to be shelved.
The map below shows the location of the project's site, in Coega Industrial Development Zone, Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality, Eastern Cape Province.
- Location: Coega Industrial Development Zone, Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality, Eastern Cape Province, South Africa
- Coordinates: -33.78287, 25.7084 (exact)
- Proposed Capacity: 0.6 mtpa, 0.09 bcfd
- Status: Shelved
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 2020
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
In 2005, a project was announced to build a liquefied natural gas (LNG) regasification terminal and a gas-fired power plant in Coega Industrial Development Zone. The project was revitalized in 2015, when the Coega Development Corporation issued a tender notice for an environmental impact assessment for the power plant. The power plant would have 1,000 MW capacity.
As of October 2016, South Africa's Department of Energy was exploring possible bidders to develop, build, and operate the project. The energy produced would be sold to Eskom, South Africa's state-owned power utility. The cost of the entire project would be roughly $2 billion.
The terminal will have an initial capacity of 0.6 mtpa and is expected to begin operations in 2020.
There have been no updates since 2017 and the project is presumed to be shelved.
In November 2019, South Africa's Minister of Energy & Mineral Resources, Gwede Mantashe, said at the Africa Oil Week conference in Cape Town that Coega will be the initial home for an LNG import terminal, suggesting that plans for the terminal may still materialize. However, there remain no development updates on the terminal.
Articles and resources
- Coega announces LNG-to-power plant, Fin24, 11 Aug. 2015.
- Coega Energy 2017, Coega Development Corporation brochure, accessed July 2017.
- South Africa selects ports to develop LNG-to-power infrastructure, LNG World News, 6 Oct. 2016.
- Coega puts R25bn value to proposed gas-to-power investment in the IDZ, Creamer Media's Engineering News, 6 Oct. 2016.
- "FSRU's – the great game changer," DataFusion Associates, Jan 2017
- Iain Esau, South Africa eyes LNG terminal as gas key to energy future Upstream, November 7, 2019