Cold Lake Pipeline System
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Cold Lake Pipeline System is an operating oil pipeline system in Canada.
The pipeline originates in Cold Lake, Alberta and terminates in Hardisty and Edmonton. More specifically, the Cold Lake Pipeline System mostly consists of two major section: the west leg running about 240 kilometers (145 miles) from Cold Lake to Edmonton and the south leg running about 415 kilometers (260 miles) from Cold Lake to Hardisty.
- Owner: Cold Lake Pipeline LP
- Parent company: Brookfield Infrastructure Partners
- Capacity: 1.9 million barrels per day
- Diameter: 12 inches, 24 inches
- Length: 1,400 km
- Status: Operating
- Start year:
- Associated infrastructure:
In December 2016, Canadian Natural Resources sold its 15% stake in the Cold Lake pipeline system to Inter Pipeline Ltd. for $527.5 million, making Inter Pipeline the sole owner of the pipeline system.
On 21 April 2017, a leak in the Cold Lake pipeline system resulted in crude oil spilling into a creek near 17th Street and Baseline Road east of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Inter Pipeline Ltd. said that it had contained the leak. Approximately 141,000 liters of bitumen blend was released into the unnamed creek, which feeds into the North Saskatchewan River.
Articles and resources
- Cold Lake Pipeline, A Barrel Full, accessed September 2017
- "Cold Lake Pipeline LP - Company Profile and News". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2022-03-02.
- Oil Sands Transportation, Interpipe, accessed February 2019
- "Transportation". interpipeline.com. Retrieved 2022-03-02.
- "Cold Lake Pipeline System expansion planned". Oil & Gas Journal. Retrieved 2022-03-01.
- Ltd, Inter Pipeline (2016-12-12). "Inter Pipeline to Acquire Remaining Interest in the Cold Lake Pipeline System and Announces New Oil Sands Transportation Agreement". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2022-03-02.
- Ltd, Inter Pipeline (2015-01-29). "Inter Pipeline Announces Completion of Cold Lake and Polaris Pipeline Expansion Projects". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2022-03-02.
- "Brookfield Infrastructure Closes Strategic Acquisition of Inter Pipeline". interpipeline.com. Retrieved 2022-03-02.
- Inter Pipeline to buy Canadian Natural's stake in Cold Lake pipeline system, CBC News, 12 Dec. 2016
- 2016 Annual Report, Inter Pipeline Ltd., accessed October 2017
- Inter Pipeline system responsible for crude leak east of Edmonton, CBC News, 24 Apr. 2017
- Inter Pipeline says crude leak east of Edmonton came from its system, The Canadian Press, 27 Apr. 2017