Croatia-Slovenia-Austria Interconnector Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Croatia-Slovenia-Austria Interconnector Gas Pipeline is a proposed pipeline in Croatia, Slovenia, and Austria.
The pipeline will run from Lučko, Croatia; to Zabok, Croatia; to Rogatec, Slovenia; to Kidričevo, Slovenia; to Murfeld, Austria; to Ceršak, Slovenia.
- Owner: Plinacro d.o.o. (HR), Plinovodi d.o.o. (SI), Gas Connect Austria GmbH (AT)
- Capacity: 5 billion cubic meters per year
- Length: 70 km / 43.5 miles
- Financing: €4,825,000 (US$5,352,190) grant for Plinacro from the EU's Connecting Europe Facility
- Status: Proposed
- Start Year: 2023
The pipeline has been approved for inclusion on the European Commission's Projects of Common Interest list, meaning it will receive public funding from the EU. In 2016, Plinacro was awarded a grant of €4,825,000 for preparatory activities on the Croatian part of the project.
The project consists of several short pipelines. According to the European Commission, "The PCIs include: Construction of a new pipeline of a capacity up to 5 bcm/y in both directions: Luko Zabok (HR), DN700 with 36 km length and Zabok - Rogatec (SI) DN700 with 34 km length; Upgrade of CS for higher operational pressure in the existing M1/1 and M2/1 pipelines, higher flow and bidirectional operation. The project aims to assure additional necessary compressor power (30 MW) for the PCI 6.26 Cluster Croatia - Slovenia - Austria at Rogatec; two compressor stations (CS2 Slobodnica: 5 MW and CS3 Zabok: 5 MW) on the HR gas transmission system that will enable reverse flow with the neighbouring countries and transport of gas from the Krk LNG terminal to the neighbouring countries; construction of a new compressor station of 13.7 MW in Murfeld (AT) and a pipeline of 26.1 km ensuring the physical reverse flow capacity between SI and AT; adjustment of SI part to operating parameters of the transmission system of the Austrian TSO, increasing the transmission capacity and enabling bidirectional operation. The project consists of a pipeline with a length of 0.16 km and a diameter of DN800. The expected incremental capacity brought by the project in the direction Murfeld (AT) -> Ceršak (SI) is 78.7 GWh/d and 162 GWh/d in the opposite direction; adjustment to operating parameters of the transmission system of the Croatian TSO, increasing the transmission capacity and enabling bidirectional operation. The project consists of a pipeline with a length of 0.16 km and a diameter of DN800.
The European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas (ENTSOG) TYNDP codes for the "Croatia-Slovenia-Austria interconnections" project are: TRA-A-86, TRA-N-390, TRA-N-92, TRA-N-94, TRA-N-389 and TRA-N-361.
Articles and resources
- Cluster Croatia - Slovenia - Austria at Roagtec European Commission, accessed December 11, 2019
- Interconnection Croatia - Slovenia (Bosiljevo-Karlovac-Lucko-Zabok-Rogatec (SI)) - Studies for Phase I European Commission, accessed Nov. 25, 2020
- European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas (2020). "TEN-YEAR NETWORK DEVELOPMENT PLAN 2020 - ANNEX A – PROJECT DETAILS" (PDF). ENTSOG.EU. Retrieved February 9, 2021.
- European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas. "ENTSOG publishes the project groups of Project Specific Cost-Benefit Analysis for TYNDP 2020" (PDF). ENTSOG. Retrieved September 16, 2020.