Datang Gongyi power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Datang Gongyi power station (大唐巩义发电公司) is a 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Henan Province, China.
The map below shows the the plant in Gongyi, Zhengzhou Prefecture, Henan Province.
Background on Project
The units received environmental clearance in 2014. They are planned for operation in 2017.
The project is under construction.
Project suspended, then revived
Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
In January 2017 China's National Energy Administration suspended over 100 planned and under-construction coal power projects, including Datang Gongyi. It is unclear when or if the projects will be revived.
July 2017: Plant to be postponed by government
In July 2017 China's National Energy Administration (NEA) postponed or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling nearly 107 gigawatts (GW). 114 coal units totaling 65 GW are postponed for consideration until after the end of the 13th 5-year plan, in 2020. In addition, 71 coal units totaling nearly 42 GW were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. NEA said its goal is to eventually suspend or halt 150 GW of coal capacity during the 13th 5-year plan (2016-2020).
Datang Gongyi power station Units 1-2 are among the postponed coal-burning units.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
September 2017: Postponement lifted
After political negotiations, China's National Energy Administration (NEA) released an updated list of postponed and halted coal projects on September 26, 2017. The new list contained 151 units totaling 95 gigawatts (GW). Datang Gongyi power station was no longer on the list, suggesting the plant is no longer suspended.
It is now planned for operation in 2018, but is facing difficulties over land and water supply.
- Sponsor: Datang Henan
- Parent company: China Datang (51%), Vimetco (49%)
- Location: Zhanjie Town, Gongyi County, Zhengzhou Prefecture, Henan Province, China
- Coordinates: 34.791022,113.10459 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 1,320 MW (Units 1 and 2: 660 MW)
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Start year: 2019
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Ailun Yang and Yiyun Cui, "Global Coal Risk Assessment: Data Analysis and Market Research," World Resources Institute working paper, November 2012
- "大唐巩义发电有限责任公司2×600MW机组扩建工程环境影响评价公示" accessed June 2013
- "大唐巩义电厂2×600MW“上大压小”扩建工程环境影响评价信息公示", 巩义市人民政府, 2013-05-06
- "EIA," hndrc.gov.cn, 2014
- "大唐巩义2×660兆瓦机组详勘主体工程完工," hlfdwcc, Sep 17, 2015
- "能源局下发13省市新建火电机组停建清单(附文件)," Polaris, Jan 16, 2017
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12
- "巩义市召开大唐巩义发电项目现场推进会," China Datang, Feb 2, 2018
- "大唐巩义电厂2号机组完成168小时试运行," PowerChina, 2019-06-06
- "华中院首台调试机组成功通过168小时试运行," 2019/6/26