Dinar power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Dinar power station, also known as the Afyon Dinar power station, is a proposed 3,500-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Afyonkarahisar province, Turkey.
The map below shows the location of Dinar district, the approximate location where the plant would be built in Afyonkarahisar province.
Background on Plant
In June 2013, Turkey's General Directorate of Mineral Research and Exploration (Maden Tetkik ve Arama Genel Müdürlüğü, or MTA) announced that it was initiating a project to build a $5 billion, 3,500-MW coal-fired power plant in the Dinar district of Turkey's Afyonkarahisar (or Afyon) province. The mine-to-mouth plant would be built adjacent to a newly-discovered 950-million-ton lignite field in Dinar district. The plant would apparently be built by a private investor, not by TKI.
In June 2018 EÜAŞ issued a call for tenders for the project's pre-feasability study.
In 2017 Ali Özkaya, an MP for the governing AK Party representing Afyonkarahisar, said that work on the mines in the region had begun and would continue for two years, together with the power station site survey, after which construction on the power station was planned to begin (in 2019), and in May 2018 he said that the number of boring machines had been increased to 16 working 24 hours a day.
Opponents claim the proposed coal project threatens local people's heath through pollution of the Menderes River and other local water and agriculture, and in 2017 started an online petition against the plant.
- Sponsor: TBD (project currently being managed by Turkey's General Directorate of Mineral Research and Exploration, the Maden Tetkik ve Arama Genel Müdürlüğü, or MTA)
- Parent company:
- Location: Dinar district, Afyonkarahisar (Afyon) province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 38.064, 30.167 (approximate)
- Status: Announced
- Detailed status: Drilling in progress - construction planned to start 2019
- Gross capacity: 3,500 MW
- Projected in service: TBD
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source: Afyonkarahisar-Dinar lignite mine
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- New $5 billion Thermal Power Plant on the Way in Turkey, Hürriyet Daily News, June 11, 2013.
- "ELEKTRİK ÜRETİMİ SEKTÖRÜ: İKTİSADİ ARAŞTIRMALAR BÖLÜMÜ," İş Bankası, August 2017
- EÜAŞ issues tender for Thermal Power Plant, Enerji Ekonomisi, Jun. 30, 2018
- Milletvekili Özkaya'dan İncelemeler, Milliyet, June 24, 2017
- Termik Santral Gündemde, Umut Dinar, 15 May 2018
- Dinar termik santrale direniyor: İmza kampanyası başlatıldı, Sol Haber, July 19, 2017