Shengli Dongying power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Shengli Dongying power station (中石化国电胜利发电厂) is a 1,040-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Shandong Province, China.
An additional 1,320 MW (中石化国电胜利东营热电公司) has been proposed, including plans for carbon capture and storage.
The undated satellite photo below shows the newest unit of the plant (at center) in Dongying District, Dongying Prefecture, Shandong Province. To the upper right are the four older units.
Background on Plant
Description of Expansion
Phase III of the Shengli Power Plant – two 660 MW supercritical thermal power units - was approved by the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) for construction in 2012. Unit 5 began construction in 2013, and is planned for completion around the middle of 2015. Commissioning of unit 5 began in September 2015.
The space for a one million tonnes per annum CO2 capture plant has been reserved at the site of the No. 5 Unit. The CO2 capture facilities are expected to begin operation in 2017. The CO2 will be used for enhanced oil recovery at the Shengli oil field, the second largest oil field in China, located in the Yellow River delta near the Bohai sea shore.
Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
In January 2017 China's National Energy Administration suspended over 100 planned and under-construction coal power projects in 13 provinces, including unit 6 of Shengli Dongying. It is unclear when or if the projects will be revived.
For details, see China's 2016 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
On August 28, 2017, China's State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council (SASAC) announced that China Guodian Corporation and Shenhua Group will be jointly restructured. Shenhua Group will become China National Energy Investment Group and will absorb China Guodian Corporation. It will be the largest power company in the world by installed capacity, as well as the world's largest coal producer. The merger was completed on November 28, 2017.
Project Details for Phase III Expansion
- Sponsor: Shengli Oil Field Management Bureau, Guodian Shandong Power Co
- Parent company: Sinopec (51%), National Energy Investment Group (49%)
- Location: Wanquan Village (Wanquancun), Dongying District, Dongying Prefecture, Shandong Province, China
- Coordinates: 37.400318, 118.5242522 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Unit 5); Shelved (Unit 6)
- Gross capacity: 1,320 MW (Units 5 & 6: 660 MW)
- Type: Supercritical with absorption chemical solvent-based process (Amine) added possibly in 2017
- Projected in service: 2015 (Unit 5)
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Sinopec Shengli Power Plant CCS Project (formerly Sinopec Shengli Oil Field EOR Project (Phase 2))," Global CCS, updated July 2014
- "胜利油田电厂三期首台机组点火成功," Sinopec, 2015/9/8
- "能源局下发13省市新建火电机组停建清单(附文件)," Polaris, Jan 16, 2017
- "Factbox: Shenhua and Guodian - China's latest state marriage". Reuters. 29 August 2017. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "China Is Creating the World's Largest Power Company". Bloomberg News. 28 August 2017. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "China’s Newly-Established National Energy Investment Group Sets World Records in Its Sector, With Assets of Over CNY1.8 Trillion," Yicai Global, 11-28-2017
- "Sinopec Shengli Power Platn CCS Project," Global CCS Institute, accessed December 2014