Dugout Canyon Mine
In June 2013 Canyon Fuel Co. was sold by Arch Coal Inc. for US$435 million to Bowie Resources, LLC, a mining firm from Kentucky. The sale consisted of the Sufco Mine in Sevier County, the Dugout Canyon Mine in Carbon County and the Skyline Complex on the Emery/Carbon county border.
The mine was part of Arch Coal's western bituminous mining region, which sold 20.6 million tons of coal in 2008.
A fire at the mind broke out on June 22, 2010. The fire forced an evacuation but nobody reported any serious injuries. The mine was closed for the better over a month to assess damage and cleanup. The mine was reopened in August 2010. In October 2010, it was reported that MSHA cited Arch Coal's subsidiary Canyon Fuel Co. for an improperly grounded pipe at the mine.
Dugout Canyon mine has 275 employees and produced approximately 200,000 tons of low-sulfur bituminous coal per month in the first quarter of 2010, which equals about 2 percent of Arch’s total production.
Arch Coal discloses mine problems
Arch subsidiary Cumberland River Coal Co. received an imminent danger notice from federal regulators on October 14, 2010 after three coal trucks operated by an independent contractor, Lemar Trucking Co. Inc., were allegedly operating in an unsafe manner on a mine haul and access road at Pine Branch 1 coal mine in Appalachia, Virginia.
Then on October 15, 2010, another Arch subsidiary, Canyon Fuel Co., received an imminent danger order from the federal government about a pipe in its rock dust transfer system that was improperly grounded at Dugout Canyon Mine in Utah.
In both instances, it was reported, mine personnel completed the work the inspectors requested in order to fix the problems.
- MSHA ID: 4201890
- Operator: Bowie Resources
- County: Carbon
- State: UT
- Latitude: 39.68
- Longitude: -110.54
- 2007 Production (short tons): 3,826,429
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Mining Method: Underground
- Mine Status: Active
- Average No. of Employees: 237
P.O. Box 1029
Wellington, UT 84542
Phone: (435) 637-6360
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Utah and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "Our mines: Dugout Canyon Mine", Arch Coal website, November 2009.
- Mike Gorrell, "Utah's largest coal company sold for $435 million," The Salt Lake Tribune, June 28, 2013
- "Our mines", Arch Coal website, November 2009.
- "Arch Coal to restart Utah mine" SLTtoday.com, August 19, 2010.
- "Arch Coal: Feds find violations at Va., Utah mines" Bloomberg, October 19, 2010.
- "Arch Coal to keep Utah mine closed for month" St. Louis Business Journal, July 12, 2010.
- "http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2010/10/18/arch-coal-discloses-mine-problems.html" Kelsey Volkmann, St Louis Business Journal, October 18, 2010.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|