Dung Quat power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Vietnam and coal|
Dung Quat Power Station was a proposed 1,200-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Quảng Ngãi province, Vietnam. The project is now being developed as a proposed 2,250-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in Dung Quat Economic Zone, Binh Thanh Commune, Binh Son District, Quang Ngai Province, Vietnam. It is also called the Dung Quat Power Center.
The map below shows the location of the Dung Quat Economic Zone, the approximate location where the plant will be built in Bình Sơn district, Quảng Ngãi province.
In Jan. 2012, Sembcorp announced an initial agreement with the Quảng Ngãi provincial government for its plans to build a 1,200-MW coal power plant in the Dung Quat Economic Zone. In May 2013, Sembcorp announced that the proposed plant had been incorporated by the Vietnamese government into its ten-year national power development plan, signaling government approval of the project; Sembcorp signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Vietnam's Ministry of Industry & Trade in Sept. 2013. The plant is expected to come online in 2020-21, and would cost nearly $2 billion.
Switched to gas
Under Power Development Plan VII, revised in March 2016, this project will use gas rather than coal. 
Planning for the Dung Quat Power Center now consists of three 750-megawatt combined cycle gas power plants. The Dung Quat I combined cycle gas turbine (commercial operations begin December 2023) and the Dung Quat III (commercial operations begin between December 2024-26) will be owned by Electricity of Vietnam (EVN). The Dung Quat II combined cycle gas turbine (commercial operations begin December 2024) will be owned by Sembcorp. The units will use gas from the Blue Whale gas field, which has faced development struggles.
In March 2017, Sembcorp Group signed with the Ministry of Industry and Trade to develop Dung Quat II.
In April 2018, Quang Ngai Province and Sembcorp Group signed a memorandum of understanding to develop Dung Quat II.
In July 2018, the Ministry of Industry and Trade approved the land for the project in Dung Quat Economic Zone.
In October 2019, Vietnam's Prime Minister approved investing for Dung Quat I and III.
The Dung Quat Power Center also has room reserved for a fourth 750-MW power plant, as yet unplanned.
Project Details (Coal)
- Sponsor: Sembcorp Utilities Vietnam
- Parent company: Sembcorp Industries
- Location: Bình Sơn district, Quảng Ngãi province, Vietnam
- Coordinates: 15.35790, 108.80911 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 1,200 MW
Project Details (Gas)
- Sponsor: Vietnam Electricity (EVN) (units 1 and 3) and Sembcorp Utilities (unit 2)
- Parent company: Vietnam Electricity Corporation (EVN); Sembcorp Industries Ltd
- Location: Dung Quat Economic Zone, Binh Thanh Commune, Binh Son District, Quang Ngai Province, Vietnam
- Coordinates: 15.378141, 108.753724 (exact)
- Gross capacity (proposed): 2,250 MW
- Combined-cycle unit 1: 750 MW per unit (start date 2023)
- Combined-cycle unit 2: 750 MW per unit (start date 2024-2026)
- Combined-cycle unit 3: 750 MW per unit (start date 2024)
Articles and resources
- Announcement of Dung Quat Power Complex site planning adjustment, Vietnam Electricity, 28 Feb 2019
- Announcing the adjustment of planning of Dung Quat Power Center, Vietnam Energy (EVN) website, 3 Mar 2019
- Sembcorp to Look Into Developing 1,200 MW Coal-Fired Power Plant, EnergyAsia, Jan. 13, 2012.
- Sembcorp's 1,200-Megawatt Power Project Obtains Approval to Be Included in Vietnam's Power Development Master Plan, Sembcorp press release, May 31, 2013.
- Sembcorp to Build 1,200 MW Thermal Power Plant in Central Vietnam, American Chamber of Commerce Vietnam website, accessed Jan. 2014.
- DANH MỤC CÁC DỰ ÁN NGUỒN ĐIỆN VÀO VẬN HÀNH GIAI ĐOẠN 2016 - 2030, Ban hành kèm theo Quyết định số 428/QĐ-TTg ngày 18 tháng 3 năm 2016 của Thủ tướng Chính phủ (LIST OF POWER PROJECT IN OPERATION PERIOD 2016 - 2030, Issued together with Decision No. 428 / QD - TTg of March 18, 2016 by the Prime Minister)
- Nghi Do, PM approves Dung Quat I and III combined cycle gas turbine power projects, Vietnam Economic Times, 30 Oct 2019
- Sembcorp implemented the next steps of Dung Quat Gas Power Project No. 2, Quang Ngai city website, 22 Feb 2019
- Vietnam greenlights $1.5 bln gas-fired power plants, VN Express, Oct 29, 2019
- Eni discovery dents value of ExxonMobil’s Blue Whale in Vietnam Energy Voice, Sep 9, 2020
- Sembcorp Makes Strides to Develop 750-Megawatt Gas-Fired Power Project in Vietnam, Sembcorp website, 26 Apr 2018
- Sembcorp signs MOU to advance 750MW Vietnamese gas power plant, NS Energy, Apr 27 2018
- PPC’s directions on the development of the Dung Quat gas-fired power plant invested by Sembcorp Group, Quang Ngai city website, 25 Dec 2017