The Duralie mine is a metallurgical, open cut mine in New South Wales. It was put on care and maintenance in 2018 and its mining lease expires in 2021. It is about 20 kilometers south of Stratford mine, which is also owned by Yancoal. Throughout its time of operation, coal from Duralie mine is railed to the Stratford Mining Complex (SMC) to be processed at the SMC Coal Handling and Processing Plant.
Construction at the Duralie mine began in June 2002 with mining production commencing in March 2003. Throughout its time of operation, mining at Duralie was permitted to extract 1.5 million tonnes of coal per year, which was then increased to 1.8 million tonnes per year, and then increased again in 2010 to 3 million tonnes per year.
The approval to increase mining to 3 mtpa was part of the Duralie Extension Project, which also allowed mining activities to extend until 31 December 2021. Run of Mine (ROM) coal mining at Duralie temporarily ceased in 2018.
While the mine was approved to remove 3 million tonnes per year, in the last two full years of mining, Duralie produced 631,768 tonnes of coal and 657,183 tonnes of coal.
In Duralie’s 2019 Annual Report, it is indicated that there is likely to be one final spurt of mining: “Approximately 400kt of ROM coal is remaining in the Weismantel pit and this remaining coal is intended to be extracted between 2020 to 2021.”
- Sponsor: Duralie Coal Pty Ltd
- Parent Company: Yancoal Australia
- Location: Located in the Southern part of the Gloucester Basin, approximately 75 kilometres north of Newcastle and 20 Kilometres south of the Stratford Mine in New South Wales.
- GPS Coordinates: -32.2972426, 151.93447 (exact)
- Status: Care and maintenance as of 2018
- Production Capacity: 631,768 tonnes of coal in 2017-2018
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: Approximately 400kt of ROM coal is remaining
- Coal type: high fluidity coking coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: open cut, truck and shovel
- Start Year: 2003
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- "Duralie Coal Mine Annual Review," "Yancoal," 2019.
- "ASSESSMENT REPORT: Proposed Duralie Coal Mine Extension," "NSW Government: Department of Planning," July 2006.
- "Duralie Coal Mine: Independent Environmental Audit Report," "Hansen Bailey," February 2018.
- "ABOUT," "Duralie Coal website," accessed June 2020.
- "Annual Review," "Yancoal," 2018.