Duvha Power Station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of South Africa|
Duvha power station is a 3,600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Mpumalanga, South Africa.
The map below shows the location of the plant, near Witbank, Nkangala District, Mpumalanga.
Background on Plant
The Duvha Power Station is a coal-fired station owned by the South African publicly-owned electricity utility Eskom.
The power station has an installed capacity of 3,600 megawatts (MW) installed capacity comprising 6 X 600 MW units. The power station is located at Witbank, Mpumalanga.
In May 2011, it was reported that Eskom is seeking up to 3 million tonnes of coal a year for nine years from the end of 2015 for its Duvha plant. The utility has reportedly been struggling to obtain coal as domestic miners have increasingly focused on coal exports, aiming to get higher returns in Asia.
Unit 3 at the Duvha Power Station has been off stream since March 2014 after being over-pressurized. It was planned to be back on stream in 2019-20. However, in June 2020, a court order set aside Eskom’s decision in March 2017 to award the tender to rebuild the boiler to China's Dongfang Electric Corporation. After the ruling, Eskom determined the rebuild of Duvha Unit 3 was no longer deemed economically viable, as the unit is already scheduled to be decommissioned by 2034.
In April 2020, Eskom listed the planned retirement dates for the plant's six units between 2031 and 2034.
- Sponsor: Eskom
- Parent company: Eskom
- Location: Witbank, Nkangala District, Mpumalanga, South Africa
- Coordinates: -25.9612614, 29.3397128 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 3,600 MW (Units 1-6: 600 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Start year: 1980-84
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and Resources
- Eskom, "Generations Plant Mix Revision 8", May 2008.
- BHP Billiton, 2009 BHP Billiton Annual Report, BHP Billiton, September 2009.
- "Eskom tender seeks 3 mln T/yr coal for Duvha plant" Reuters Africa, May 16, 2011.
- "Duvha Unit 3 will be fully recovered in 2019/20," Times Live, 21 November, 2015
- Integrated Report, Eskom, 2020
- "Response of Eskom to CER, Reference number: PAIA 0087 MAN , CER website, April 28, 2020