Energía Minera power station
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Chile and coal|
The Energía Minera power station was a proposed 1050-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Puchuncaví, in Chile's Valparaíso region.
The map below shows Puchuncaví, the approximate location where the plant was to be built.
The $1.7bn Energía Minera power station was to be developed by Codelco, Chile's state-run copper mining company, and located near Codelco's Ventanas copper smelter in Puchuncaví, in Chile's Valparaíso region.
A contract was initially awarded to local electricity company Colbún in 2009, who obtained the necessary environmental permits but did not exercise its option and returned the project to Codelco in March 2012, bringing development of the plant to a halt.. Even with development indefinitely stalled, local residents and Chilean environmental groups continued to protest the project.
In February 2015, the environmental group Oceana urged Chile's national environmental authority SEA (Servicio de Evaluación Ambiental) to issue a statement declaring that Energía Minera's permit (Resolución de Calificación Ambiental) had expired, given the fact that more than five years had already passed since issuance of the original permit. In June 2015, Puchuncaví's mayor Hugo Rojas expressed similar concerns about the plant's status, in response to news that the SEA was still considering a January 2015 petition from Energía Minera requesting extension of the plant's environmental permit.
However, in an October 7, 2015 letter addressed to the Commission Environmental Assessment, Codelco said it decided "not to persevere" in the project and would "renounce all rights and obligations Exempt Resolution No. 267 of 2009 Regional Environmental Commission gives Minera SA Energy," effectively putting an end to the development of the project.
- Sponsor: Codelco
- Parent company:
- Location: Puchuncaví, Valparaíso, Chile
- Coordinates: -32.733333, -71.416667 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled (2015)
- Gross Capacity: 1,050 MW (Units 1-3: 350 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Chile: Se congela construcción del mayor proyecto termoeléctrico de Codelco". Nueva Mujer. March 2012.
- "Codelco considers selling a 1050 MW project option". Power Engineering International. April 5, 2012.
- "Masiva movilización en Ventanas: "Vamos a morir con otra termoeléctrica"". OLCA (Observatorio Latinoamericano de Conflictos Ambientales). January 12, 2013.
- "Informe de Fiscalización Ambiental: Central Termoeléctrica Energía Minera," Superintendencia del Medio Ambiente, Gobierno de Chile, November 18, 2013.
- "Oceana solicita caducidad de la RCA de proyectos termoeléctricos Los Robles y Energía Minera," Oceana press release, February 3, 2015.
- "Termoeléctrica: alcalde critica a Codelco por mantener licencia," Mercurio Valparaiso, June 30, 2015.
- "Codelco no construirá proyecto termoeléctrico Energía Minera en Puchuncaví," Codelco, Dec 29, 2015