Experimental TES power station
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Experimental TES power station (formerly Nesvetay power station) is a 115-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Rostov province, Russia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is in Krasny Sulin city, Krasnosulinsky district, Rostov province.
Background on Plant
The Nesvetay power station was originally built as a 300-MW, four-unit coal-fired power plant. Construction began in 1941, but was interrupted by WWII. After the war, construction resumed; the first unit went online in 1948, and the other three followed in 1949-54. By the 1970's, the plant's aging machinery had become worn and obsolete. A fifth 110-MW unit was built in 1979; over time, the other four units were gradually shut down, and since 1986 Unit 5 has been the only functioning unit.
The plant's former majority owner, the Elektrostal Rossii (ESTAR) Group, went bankrupt in 2010 (LUKOIL-Rostovenergo, a subsidiary of Russian oil giant Lukoil, and Inter RAO's Energy System East also apparently own minority shares in the plant). Since then, the plant has apparently been majority-owned by the Experimental TES Company, which is actively searching for investors to buy the plant and complete renovations. By 2012, the plant's holding company was itself struggling financially, and entered into bankruptcy.
Description of Expansion
In 1996, together with the Rostov-based Institute of Ecological Problems of Energy, the plant's owner initiated a project to build a two-unit, 700-MW pilot coal waste plant at the site. Construction was begun on the plant, but financing became a problem and the project was only 22% completed. In 2006, ESTAR tried to revive the project, planning on resuming construction in 2008 and bringing the new plant online in 2012 -- but ESTAR's bankruptcy left that plan in limbo as well.
Experimental TES is currently searching for investors to buy the plant and complete the project. With no developments since 2006, the project appears to be abandoned.
Project Details for Expansion
- Sponsor: Experimental TES Company (minority shared owned by LUKOIL-Rostovenergo, a subsidiary of Lukoil, and by Inter RAO's Energy System East)
- Parent company: Lukoil, Inter RAO
- Location: Krasny Sulin city, Krasnosulinsky district, Rostov province, Russia
- Coordinates: 47.87117, 40.02033 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 700 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type: Anthracite
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Информация об Обществе и его положение в отрасли, Experimental TES website, accessed Feb. 2014.
- ОАО «Экспериментальная ТЭС», UES South website, accessed Feb. 2014.
- Eksperimentalnaya Powerplant, Enipedia, accessed Feb. 2014.
- Serbin, Tatiana. Вынужденному поставщику подыскивают инвестора, Kommersant, Feb. 12, 2013.
- Передумали, Vedomosti, May 3, 2009.