Kınık power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Kınık power station, also known as Eynez power station, is a proposed 2-unit 700-megawatt (MW) (2x350MW) coal-fired power plant in İzmir province, Turkey.
The map below shows the approximate location of the plant planned to be built in Kınık district, İzmir province. The plant would be also close to Soma mine in Manisa province.
Background on Plant
In 2011, Chinese company Zhejiang Provincial Energy Group and Turkish coal mining company Polat Madencilik applied to Turkey's Energy Market Regulatory Authority (EPDK) to build coal mining and coal-fired power plant operations in the Kınık district of Turkey's İzmir province. The two companies created the partnership Polyak Eynez Enerji for purposes of the project, and announced the project in September, stating that the project would be completed by 2016.
The environmental permitting process for the plant began in 2013 with public consultation, and the plant was previously announced as 647 MW.
In 2015, the environmental permitting process started with the increased capacity of 700 MW (2 units), a generation pre-license was also awarded. The plant received the "EIA positive" decision as a final environmental approval in April 2017, and also generation license in July 2017 which is valid until 2068.
In late 2017 it was reported that Polyak Eynez (now part-owned by FİBA Group) would be investing 1 billion USD with the mine due 2018 and the 700 MW power plant 2021.
In 2018 it was reported that 350 Chinese workers are working at the mining area under bad conditions.
- Sponsor: Polyak Eynez
- Parent company: FİBA Group and Polat Madencilik
- Location: Değirmencieli village, in Kınık district, İzmir province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 39.084, 27.45 (approximate)
- Status: Permitted
- Detailed status: Licenced
- Gross capacity: 2 x 350 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service: 2024
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source: Eynez coal mine, Turkey
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Kınık Termik Santrali, Polyak Enez, accessed Dec. 2019.
- İlk büyük Çin yatırımı yolda, Milliyet, Sept. 28, 2011.
- EPDK Licence Database EÜ/8707-2/04274, EPDK, acces. Dec. 2019.
- “Eynez Termik Santralı (647 MWe) ve Kül Depolama Tesisi” projesi, Ministry of Environment and Urban Planning website, accessed Apr. 2014.
- "Kınık'a 100 milyon euroluk yatırım," Yeni Asir, Aug 25, 2014
- KINIK LİNYİT MADENİ, Polyak Enez Enerji, acces. Dec 2019.
- İzmir'de kömür ocağı kapasite artışı halk toplantısı 30 Temmuz'da, Emlak Kulisi, July 15, 2015.
- EPDK Pre-Licence Database ÖN/5691-6/03317,, EPDK, acces. Dec. 2019.
- Kınık Termik için ÇED olumlu kararı Kaynak: Kınık Termik için ÇED olumlu kararı, Enerji Günlüğü, Apr. 27, 2017.
- "Madene ve santrale 1 milyar $ yatıracak," Ekonomist, Nov 21, 2017
- Soma ve Kınık’ta Çinli işçiler: Kıtalar arası ‘kölelik’ mi, Politez, July 28, 2018.
- EPDK Pre-Licence Database ÖN/5691-6/03317,, EPDK, accessed June 2020
- Communication with CAN Europe, June 2020
- KINIK TERMİK SANTRALİ, Polyakeynez, accessed November 2020