GACL-NALCO Dahej Caustic captive power station
GACL-NALCO Dahej Caustic captive power station is a 130-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in the state of Gujarat, India.
The map below shows the location of the power station in Dahej, India.
In December 2015, National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO) (a Government of India Enterprise - Navratna Company) and Gujarat Alkalies and Chemicals Ltd. (GACL) jointly formed GACL-NALCO Alkalies & Chemicals Pvt. Ltd. (GNAL) to set up a caustic soda plant and 130 MW coal plant in Dahej, Gujarat.
The green field project was proposed to meet the power and steam requirements of the plant at "Plot No. D-II/9" in Dahej. The captive power plant was expected to use the latest Circulating Fluidised Bed Combustion (CFBC) technology with "design flexibility for using 100% indigenous coal to 100% imported coal including blending with lignite."
A June 2020 document "bifurcated" permitting document referenced the following capacities: 195 MW "as per EC," 1 x 65 MW for "GACL," and 2 x 65 MW for "GNAL."
In April 2022, GNAL reportedly completed the partial start-up of the caustic soda plant and cogeneration captive power plant.
GACL's annual report released in August 2022 noted that GNAL successfully commissioned Unit 1 of the 2 x 65 MW plant in May 2022. The full power station was expected to be fully operational by the third quarter of Financial Year 2022-23. The power station at the presumed location appeared complete.
The project was proposed to be implemented over a period of 2.5 years at an estimated cost of around Rs. 2000 crores, which included a foreign component of approximately Rs. 300 crores. The project was to be financed with a debt equity ratio of 70:30. The promoters (GACL and NALCO) were expected to contribute equity of Rs.600 crores at 60:40 ratio from their internal accruals. Balance Rs.1400 crores would be sourced from various lenders. GNAL appointed M/s IDBI Capital Market Services Ltd. as financial advisor.
- Owner: GACL-NALCO Alkalies and Chemicals Private Limited (GNAL) [100%]
- Parent: Gujarat Alkalies and Chemicals Limited (GACL) [60%]; National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO) [40%]
- Location: Dahej, Gujarat, India
- Coordinates: 21.710191, 72.690406 (exact)
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 130 MW (2 x 65 MW)
- In service: 2022
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and Resources
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "49th Annual Report 2021-2022," GACL, August 2022
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "About the Project," GNAL, accessed January 2023
- ↑ "Amendment to Environmental Clearance Order," Gujarat SEIAA, June 9, 2020
- ↑ "GACL-NALCO JV commissions new chlor-alkali plant at Dahej," India Fine Chemicals, April 18, 2022
- ↑ "THERMAX LIMITED (GNAL)," Google Maps, accessed January 2023