Ganneng Fengcheng power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Ganneng Fengcheng power station (赣能丰城发电厂) is a 1,400-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Jiangxi Province, China.
An additional 2,000 MW is under construction.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Shishang Village.
Background on Project
The two existing coal-fired units of Ganneng Fengcheng, totaling 1,400 MW, was completed in 2007. Four earlier units have been retired. The plant is owned by Jiangxi Provincial Investment Group.
Jiangxi Provincial Investment Group & SDIC are building a 2 x 1,000 MW ultra-supercritical expansion of the power station. Operation is planned for 2017-2018.
Scaffold Collapse Kills Scores of Workers
On November 24, 2016, a scaffolding collapse killed at least 73 people working on the cooling tower. Li Yihuang, a vice governor of Jiangxi province, promised an investigation.
2017: Plant halted by government
In July 2017, the NEA released the "Guideline of Supply-Side Reform of the Coal Power Bubble". The Guideline included a draft list which slowed down or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling 107 GW. 114 coal units (65 GW) are ordered to slow down the construction progress during 2017 to 2020, and are not allowed to connect to the grid in 2017. In addition, 71 coal units (42 GW) were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. The list partly overlapped with the projects listed in the January NEA letter to 13 provinces.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
2018: Construction planned to resume in 2019
In December 2018 it was reported that construction on the plant is planned to resume in March 2019.
2019: Construction resumes
In November 2019, it was reported that construction had resumed on the project.
- Sponsor: Jiangxi Energy Group & SDIC Power
- Parent company: Jiangxi Provincial Investment Group & SDIC
- Location: Shishang Village, Tonggushan, Fengcheng, Yichun Prefecture, Jiangxi Province, China
- Coordinates: 28.199732, 115.709577 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Gross capacity: 2,000 MW (Units 1 & 2: 1,000 MW)
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "赣能丰电三期正式开工建," 2015-7-30
- Chun Han Wong, "Scaffolding collapse at China power plant kills dozens," Wall Street Journal, November 24, 2016
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12
- "江西丰城电厂三期扩建工程项目施工D标段-冷却塔与烟囱施工(第二次)," 2018-12-20
- "赣能股份积极推进丰城电厂三期扩建工程复工," 证券时报网, 2019年11月13日