HBP Handlová and Nováky coal mines
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Handlová and Nováky coal mines are two operating underground lignite coal mines in Trenčín Region, Slovakia.
The map below shows the locations of the two mines, in the towns of Handlová and Nováky, in Prievidza District, Trenčín Region, Slovakia.
The Handlová and Nováky coal mines are two operating underground lignite coal mines. Apart from the Čáry mine, a small mine in Western Slovakia, they are the only remaining operating coal mines in the country. They are operated by Hornonitrianske bane Prievidza (HBP). They produced a total of 1.1 million tons in 2020, all of which was supplied to the Nováky power station.
As of 2018, the mines continued to receive subsidies from the Slovak government. The mines are scheduled to be closed in 2027.
- Owner: Hornonitrianske bane Prievidza, a.s.
- Parent Company:
- Location: Handlová and Nováky, Prievidza District, Trenčín Region, Slovakia
- GPS Coordinates: 48.7249006, 18.7516043 and 48.7157985, 18.5562856 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production: 1.1 MT (2020)
- Total Reserves: 50.9 million tonnes (2006) 
- Recoverable Reserves: 3.96 million tonnes (2006)
- Coal type: Lignite
- Mine Type: Underground
- Start Year:
- Workforce: 3,000
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Hnedé uhlie, Hornonitrianske bane Prievidza (HBP) website, accessed Apr. 2021.
- Pavol Szalai, "Hornonitrianske bane budú čerpať dotácie a ťažiť uhlie aj po roku 2023", EURACTIV, 23 Nov. 2018.
- Inforse, "Brown Coal in Slovakia (PDF)", Inforse website, Accessed June 2021