Handlová coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Handlová coal mine is an operating underground lignite coal mine in Trenčín Region, Slovakia.
It is one of two operating coal mines in Slovakia, along with the Nováky coal mine
The map below shows the locations of the mine, in the town of Handlová, in Prievidza District, Trenčín Region, Slovakia.
The Handlová coal mine is one of two operating underground lignite coal mines. Apart from the Čáry mine, a small mine in Western Slovakia, they are the only remaining operating coal mines in the country. They are operated by Hornonitrianske bane Prievidza (HBP). They produced a total of 1.1 million tons in 2020, all of which was supplied to the Nováky power station.
As of 2018, the mines continued to receive subsidies from the Slovak government. The mines are scheduled to be closed in 2027.
2009 Mine Explosion
The 2009 Handlová mine blast occurred on 10 August 2009 roughly 330 metres (1,080 ft) underground. 20 people were killed, nine others suffered minor injuries and were taken to hospital for treatment.Some historians have called the disaster the largest mining tragedy in Slovakia’s history. The deadly explosion, probably caused by flammable gases, occurred after mine rescuers had earlier been deployed to extinguish a fire in the Eastern shaft of the mine.
The incident is the deadliest mining disaster in Slovakia's history since the country's independence in 1993. Only 12 people had been killed while mining in Slovakia during the previous twelve years. An official investigation into the disaster concluded in 2011, that several factors caused the explosion, but was unable to determine if any breaches of safety regulation had occurred. There employees with the mining company were eventually charged with negligence.
- Owner: Hornonitrianske bane Prievidza, a.s.
- Parent Company:
- Location: Handlová, Prievidza District, Trenčín Region, Slovakia
- GPS Coordinates: 48.7249006, 18.7516043
- Status: Operating
- Production: 1.1 MT (2020, together with Nováky)
- Total Reserves: 50.9 million tonnes (2006, together with Nováky) 
- Recoverable Reserves: 3.96 million tonnes (2006, together with Nováky)
- Coal type: Lignite
- Mine Type: Underground
- Start Year:
- Workforce: 3,000 (together with Nováky).
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Hnedé uhlie, Hornonitrianske bane Prievidza (HBP) website, accessed Apr. 2021.
- Pavol Szalai, "Hornonitrianske bane budú čerpať dotácie a ťažiť uhlie aj po roku 2023", EURACTIV, 23 Nov. 2018.
- "Coal mine blast kills 20". Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- Reuters (2009-08-11). "Twenty miners presumed dead in Slovak blast". China Post. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- Inforse, "Brown Coal in Slovakia (PDF)", Inforse website, Accessed June 2021