Hirwaun Power Station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Hirwaun Power Station is a proposed 299-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in Rhondda Cynon Taf County (Wales), United Kingdom.
The map below shows the approximate location of the proposed power station in Hirwaun, Rhondda Cynon Taf County (Wales), United Kingdom.
Hirwaun, originally expected to start in 2020, is listed in the T-4 Capacity Market 2024-2025 final auction results with a 2024 delivery date. This would qualify it for government subsidies to guarantee electricity supply.
- Sponsor: Hirwaun Power Limited (HPL)
- Parent company: Drax Group plc
- Location: Hirwaun, Rhondda Cynon Taf County (Wales), United Kingdom
- Coordinates 51.7377, -3.5109 (approximate)
- Gross capacity (proposed): 299 MW
- Unit 1: Gas-fired open-cycle gas turbine, 299 MW (start-up in 2024)
Articles and Resources
- Hirwaun Power Station, National Infrastructure Planning website, last updated September 4, 2019.
- T4 DY2024-25 Final Results, Electricity Market Reform Delivery Body, Mar 22, 2021
- The Drax gas plant is dead: But other new gas projects are a headache for the COP26 team, Ember, Feb 15, 2021
- Capacity Market, United Kingdom, Mar 1, 2019
- Delivering energy for the future, Hirwuan Power website, accessed November 2019.
- HIRWAUN POWER PROJECT Stage 1 Construction Traffic Management Plan, Hirwuan Power website, July 2018.
- Capacity Market Register 2024-25 (T-4) - 13_04_2021, Electricity Market Reform Delivery Body, Apr 13, 2021