Huadian Xiangyuan power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Huadian Xianghuan power station (华电襄垣和信低热值煤发电项目) is a proposed 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Shanxi province, China.
With no developments since 2015, the project appears to be cancelled.
The map below shows the approximate location of the proposed plant in Shanxi province.
Background on Plant
China Huadian has proposed a power station of two units of 600 MW each. The environmental impact assessment was approved in 2014. More recent environmental submittals place the size at 2 x 660 MW.
The power station is under construction.
Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
In January 2017 China's National Energy Administration suspended 85 planned and under-construction coal power projects with a total capacity of over 100GW in 13 provinces, including Huadian Xiangyuan. It is unclear when or if the projects will be revived. For details, see China's 2016 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
2017: Plant halted by government
In July 2017, the NEA released the "Guideline of Supply-Side Reform of the Coal Power Bubble". The Guideline included a draft list which slowed down or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling 107 GW. 114 coal units (65 GW) are ordered to slow down the construction progress during 2017 to 2020, and are not allowed to connect to the grid in 2017. In addition, 71 coal units (42 GW) were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. The list partly overlapped with the projects listed in the January NEA letter to 13 provinces.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
- Sponsor: China Huadian (63%), National Energy Investment Group (27%), Shanxi Boyu Coal & Electricity Development (10%)
- Location: Xiadian Town Hezhang village, Xiangyuan county, Changzhi city, Shanxi province, China
- Coordinates: 36.526197, 112.873106 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross capacity: 1,320 MW (Units 1-2: 660 MW)
- Projected in service:
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Coal type: Bituminous waste coal
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "第四批低热值煤发电项目公示," 山西省发改委网站, June 26, 2014
- "华电襄垣2×60万千瓦低热值煤发电项目获准开工," 2015年09月01日
- Greenpeace East Asia communication, January 2017
- "华电襄垣2×600MW低热值煤发电工程正式开工," changzhi.gov.cn, 2015-09-26
- "能源局下发13省市新建火电机组停建清单(附文件)," Polaris, Jan 16, 2017
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12