Ilgın power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Ilgın power station is a proposed 500-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Konya province, Turkey.
The map below shows the location of Ilgın district, the approximate location where the plant would be built in Konya province.
Background on Plant
First lignite coal explorations in Konya Ilgın area started in the 1980s by MTA. In 1994, the plant was planned to be built under "build-operate-transfer" model by an agreement between PSEG Global Inc and the Turkish government, According to this plan, three villages would have to be resettled and at least 3 hectares land would be re-planned, where the mayors of these villages opposed the plant's construction. The plant was cancelled due to disagreement between two parties, especially on finance.
In 2011, Ciner Group bought Konya Ilgın Elektrik company and secured legal rights to build and operate an open-pit lignite mine and a two-unit, 500-MW, $1.2 billion, mine-to-mouth coal-fired power plant in Konya province. Previously, in 2002, "EIA positive" decision for the 500 MW plant was also gathered by Konya Ilgın Elektrik company. Ciner Group is also leaving open the possibility of building a third 250-MW unit at a future date.
In 2015, ICBC and Ciner Groups signed a US$508 million loan agreement for the project and announced the plant will start operation in 2019.
The plant site and surrounding area were grade 1 archaeological sites; however in 2014 conservation status of part of the area that has three tumuli, or ancient burial mounds, was changed by the Turkish Ministry of Culture and Tourism to grade 3 which enables the construction. The Turkish Chamber of Architects and environmental groups opened legal cases against this status change and in March 2019 the court cancelled this decision and gave a ruling to preserve the area as a grade 1 archaeological site. It was further reported that the site was the first habitat of Homo erectus in Anatolia.
In April 2019, the company claimed that tumuli won't be affected by the plant and mining areas thus they will continue their activities. In November 2019, it was announced that the company is preparing to start mining activities but as of December 2019 there is no update on the plant's construction. In March 2020 the Konya 2nd Administrative Court blocked construction of the Konya Ilgin coal mine that would be used to power the plant, because of the site's archaeological importance. However, in June 2020 Park Elektrik, a company that holds the rights to operating the plant, renewed a contract with Düzgün Mining to deliver 35 metric tons of coal from the Ilgin coalfield.
- Sponsor: Konya-Ilgın Elektrik Üretim ve Ticaret A.Ş. owned by Park Elektrik
- Parent company: Ciner Group
- Location: Ilgın district, Konya province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 38.26, 31.91 (approximate)
- Status: Permitted
- Detailed status:
- Gross capacity: 2 x 250 MW
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed
- Projected in service:
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source: Konya Ilgın coal mine, Turkey
- Source of financing: US$508 million in debt from Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC)
Articles and resources
- Konya Ilgın Elektrik, Ciner Group website, accessed Apr. 2014.
- Türkiye Büyük Millet Meclisi Genel Kurul Tutanağı 21. Dönem 2. Yasama Yılı 26. Birleşim, Grand National Assembly of Turkey (TBMM), Nov. 30, 1999.
- Ilgın Termik Santralı Projesi Çıkmazda, Bigpara, accessed Nov. 2000.
- PSEG/Konya Ilgın Elektrik Tahkim Kararı, Dost Süleyman, İsanbul Barosu Dergisi, 2007.
- Ciner Grubu, Park Enerji, accessed Dec. 2019.
- Türkiye’de İklim Koruma Davaları ve Hukuki Durum-2016, Ekoloji Kollektifi, March 2017.
- Ilgın'da termik heyecan, Merhaba Haber, Dec. 6, 2012.
- EPDK Generation Licence EÜ/4292/02479, EPDK, accessed Dec. 2019.
- 700 milyon dolarlık dev yatırım, HaberTürk, May 26, 2016.
- Bakanlığın tarihi karartacak işlemi engellendi, OdaTV, March 28, 2019.
- PARK ELEKTRIK: KONYA ILGIN TERMIK SANTRAL PROJESINE ILISKIN KOMUR SAHASINDAN KOMUR URETIMI YAPILAMAYACAGI YONUNDEKI, FinansHaberler, April 19, 2019.
- Konya Ilgın AŞ kömür üretmeye başlıyor Kaynak: Konya Ilgın AŞ kömür üretmeye başlıyor, Enerji Günlüğü, Nov. 14, 2019.
- Konya’da arkeolojik alana açılması planlanan kömür ocaklarına mahkeme engeli, Yesil Gazete, Mar. 31, 2020
- Park Elektrik Konya Ilgın Sahası İçin Kömür Satış Sözleşmesini Yenilediğini Duyurdu, Madencilik Türkiye, June 19, 2020