İzdemir Enerji power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
İzdemir Enerji power station is a 350-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in İzmir province, Turkey.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant's site, which is near Çakmaklı village, Aliağa district, İzmir province. The plant is on a site adjacent to parent company İzmir Demir Çelik's steel mill.
Background on Plant
İzdemir Enerji, a subsidiary of İzmir Demir Çelik (IDC), began building a single-unit, 350-MW, $350 million coal-fired power plant on the property of the company's Aliağa steel mill in 2011, in order to power the mill's operations. The company applied for environmental permits in June 2008; the project was licensed in April 2009, and the construction contract was signed in April 2011.
In its 2011 annual report, IDC stated that a $US222.9 million contract had been signed on April 2, 2011 with China Machninery Engineering Corporation (CMEC) for power station equipment. IDC also reported that a $US280 million loan agreement for the project had been entered into with Garanti Bank on April 2011.
Local residents have complained that they were belatedly notified about the plant's regulatory approval process, and that their concerns have been ignored. IDC has reported that "there have been lawsuits filed to annul and cancel the 'Production License' issued by Energy Market Regulatory Authority and EIA decision by Ministry of the Environment and Forestry for Izdemir Power Plant Project-2 to be established in Aliaga, Izmir."
The construction of the plant started in 2011, and the plant started operating on 4th of April 2014. In their activity report for the first quarter of 2021, IDC stated that the plant generates over 2.5 million kWh per year.. The plant employed 237 workers in 2014, the last year for which IDC included that information in their activity report. A second unit for the plant is in pre-permit development.
In April 2011, a financing agreement for the project was closed. A US$343.21 million loan was provided by Garanti Bank; US$31.79 million in equity was provided by Izmir Demir Celik Sanayi.
On February 11 2021, Izdemir Enerji filed for IPO (initial public offering) to raise capital.
Challenges to EIA
In February 2017, a judge rejected the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Report for the plant, due to the plant's proximity to cultural sites. While it is illegal to operate without environmental approval, the Izmir governor had up to 30 days to suspend the production license for the plant.
In December 2018, a new positive EIA was submitted, and was immediately challenged by the Aegean Environment and Culture Platform (EGEÇEP), who argued that portions of the new EIA had been cut-and-pasted from an EIA for a different project. In March 2019, it was reported that the plant was continuing to operate without an EIA permit. The president of the Izmir Bar Association also noted that the plant lacked a permit to operate a workplace from the Izmir Metropolitan Authority.
- Sponsor: İzdemir Enerji
- Parent company: İDÇ Steel
- Location: Çakmaklı village, Aliağa district, İzmir province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 38.74173, 26.92917 (exact)
- Status: Unit 1: Operating; Unit 2: Pre-permit development
- Detailed status:
- Gross capacity: 350 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- In service: April 2014
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Coal source: Imported
- Source of financing: US$343.21 million in debt from Garanti; US$31.79 million in equity from Izmir Demir Celik Sanayi
- WRI ID: WRI1018716
- EBC ID: TR-6
Articles and resources
- Projenin Teknik Özellikleri, İzdemir Enerji website, accessed Apr. 2014.
- İzdemir enerji, santral yatırımına başlayacak, Hürriyet, June 16, 2009.
- Sipil Çelik İzdemir Aliağa Enerji Santralinde Yapısal Çelik İşlerini Sürdürüyor, Sektorel, Mar. 19, 2013.
- Izmir Demir Celik 2011 Faaliyet Raporu . Report.
- Aliağa'da ikinci termik santral sürprizi, Radikal, Sept. 3, 2008.
- Izmir Demir Celik (31 March 2021) Yönetim Kurulu Faaliyet Raporu . Report.
- Izmir Demir Celik (31 December 2014) Yönetim Kurulu Faaliyet Raporu . Report.
- "Preview of Izdemir Energy Thermal Power Power financing (350MW) | Transaction | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- "Historic Victory for Local Communities in Turkey: Court cancels EIA approval of operational Coal Power Plant," 350.org, 17.02.2017
- Izdemir thermal power plant was approved 3 times for EIA report, Evrensel, Dec. 11, 2018
- zdemir Termik Santrali ÇED dosyası tepki çekti, Haberturk, Dec. 18, 2018
- İzdemir Enerji II termik santrali mahkeme kararlarına rağmen çalışmaya devam ediyor, Birgun, Mar. 4, 2019
- Toolkit: Coal Power Generation and Health in Three Regions of Turkey; Çanakkale, İzmİr and Tekİrdağ, Health and environment alliance - Heal, January 2018.
- Communication with CAN Europe, June 2020
- "Chairman's Message," İDÇ, accessed June 2018
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named