Juloi Northwest coal project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Juloi Northwest coal project was a proposed opencast mine, operated by Adaro Metcoal Companies (AMC), Adaro Energy, and part of the IndoMet Coal Project, located 90 km west of Lampunut, Murung Raya Regency, Central Kalimantan Province, Indonesia. The mine project has since been shelved.
The map below shows the approximate location of the Juloi mine site northwest of Puruk Cahu, Murung Raya Regency, Central Kalimantan Province, Indonesia.
Juloi Coal is part of the IndoMet Coal Project. In May 2016, the IndoMet Coal project is held by a joint venture between Australia-based mining giant BHP Billiton (75%) and Indonesia-listed mining company PT Adara Energy Tbk. (25%). However, in June of 2016, BHP Billiton sold its shares in IndoMet Coal to Adaro Energy.
According to a fact sheet written by a coalition of environmental groups, IndoMet is "a series of massive coal mines that would destroy primary rainforest, deprive indigenous peoples of their customary land, and pollute water sources relied on by up to 1 million people."
- Owner: Adaro Energy
- Parent company:
- Location: Murung Raya Regency, Central Kalimantan Province, Indonesia
- GPS coordinates: -0.114276, 114.190641
- Mine status: Proposed
- Start year:
- Mineable reserves: 430 million tonnes (estimated)
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Mine size: 95,590 hectares
- Mine type: Surface
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees:
Articles and resources
- Alexander Ginting (Publisher), Robert Sihotang (Project Leader), Reiner Simanjuntak, Johannes Simbolon, Tyasno Hery, Rudi Simangunsong, Adianto Simamora, Godang Sitompul, Romel S., Yuda Prihatna, Abdul Karim, lpunk AF [Paper Copy, Indonesian Coal Book 2016/2017] Petromindo.Com, May 2016 Release
- Tess Ingram BHP Billiton sells IndoMet Coal to JV partner Adaro Energy The Sydney Morning Herald June 7, 2016
- Endcoal.org BHP Billiton’s IndoMet Project: Digging Deep into the Heart of Borneo Fact sheet, October 2014
- IndoMet project, coal mining in East and Central Kalimantan, Indonesia Earth Justice Atlas, Oct. 30, 2017
- BHP BHP BILLITON ENTERS INTO A JOINT VENTURE FOR ITS INDONESIAN COAL PROJECT (MARUWAI) Press Release, March 31, 2019
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Dave Murray, President BHP Billiton Metallurgical Coal, Analysts and Investors Site Visit", Queensland, June 2, 2005. (See slides 62-68 "BHP Billiton Maruwai Coal Project" for an overview of the proposed project).