Kutubdia LNG Terminal (Petronet)
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The below map shows the approximate site of the proposed terminal at Kutubdia Island, Bangladesh.
- Owner: Petronet LNG Limited
- Parent: Petrobangla
- Location: Kutubdia Island, Cox's Bazar District, Chittagong, Bangladesh
- Coordinates: 21.816667, 91.858333 (approximate)
- Proposed Capacity: 7.5 mtpa, 1.08 bcfd
- Status: Cancelled
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 2025
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Kutubdia Island has a natural harbour with a good draft and a natural breakwater that's ideal for setting up a LNG terminal. The proposed terminal is beside Bangladesh's proposed Matarbari LNG Terminal in Moheshkhali Island of the Cox's Bazar district of Anwara, Chittagong. The Kutubdia LNG terminal, to be set up on the build-own-operate basis, will supply gas to power plants. Kutubdia LNG includes proposals to import gas by barge and truck to off-grid customers in Bangladesh.
In December 2016, Bangladesh government-owned Petrobangla signed an initial agreement with India government-owned Petronet to set up an LNG regasification terminal on Kutubdia Island and a pipeline. The estimated cost is US$950 million. During Petrobangla's FY 2017-2018, a feasibility study related to the terminal's installation was completed.
In February 2019 Petronet announced that it was delaying development of the project.
In January 2021, BloombergNEF reported that the project had been formally cancelled.
Articles and resources
- Kutubdia LNG Terminal A Barrel Full, accessed April 2017.
- New and Emerging LNG Markets: The Demand Shock French Institute of International Relations, June 2018.
- BloombergNEF LNG Export and Import Projects-Q4 2020, BloombergNEF, January 21, 2021
- "Petronet submits proposal to set up $1 billion LNG terminal in Bangladesh" The Economic Times, July 27, 2018.
- "Quenching the Indian subcontinent’s thirst for LNG" LNG World Shipping, June 26, 2017.
- "Govt to set up two land-based LNG terminals" The Daily Star, June 15, 2017.
- "Moheshkhali to have largest LNG plant" Bangladesh Post, Aug. 3, 2017.
- 2018 Annual Report Petrobangla, accessed December 2019.
- Shine Jacob, Petronet's LNG terminal plan in Bangladesh put on the back burner, Business Standard, Feb. 11, 2019