Las Palmas power station (Guatemala)
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Latin America and coal|
Las Palmas power station is a power plant near Escuintla, Guatemala. The plant's 83-megawatt (MW) Unit 2 is fueled with coal.
The map below shows the plant, which is located near Escuintla, Escuintla, Guatemala.
The Las Palmas power station features two units. Unit 1 (89 MW) is fueled with bunker, while Unit 2 (83 MW) is fueled with thermal coal.
In 2008 Duke Energy announced that it would invest US$150 million to build a new coal-fired Unit 2 at its existing Las Palmas plant, with an installed capacity of 83 MW. By 2011 the plant had entered its testing phase, and shortly thereafter it began commercial operations.
In 2016 Duke Energy announced its intention to sell all of its Guatemalan energy assets to global infrastructure investment manager I Squared Capital, which in turn arranged to have Las Palmas 2 transferred to its Guatemalan subsidiary Orazul Energy Guatemala.
As recently as 2019, the Las Palmas 2 plant was still listed in annual reports published by Guatemala's energy administrator AMM, though the Guatemalan government has recently taken steps to move away from coal-fired electricity towards renewable energy sources.
Guatemala's Ministry of Energy and Mines does not list Las Palmas among the country's coal-fired power plants in its power generation planning report for 2020-2034.
Project Details: Unit 2
- Sponsor: Orazul Energy Guatemala
- Parent company: I Squared Capital
- Location: Escuintla, Escuintla, Guatemala
- Coordinates: 14.262131, -90.799063 (exact)
- Status: Operating (2012)
- Gross Capacity: 83 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Duke Energy se retirará de Guatemala, está en proceso de venta de 3 generadoras". Revista Estrategia & Negocios. September 7, 2016.
- "Carbón abre paso a la hidroenergía". El Financiero (Costa Rica). October 5, 2008.
- "Inaugura planta de carbón". La Hora. August 29, 2008.
- Noaldo Bracamonte González, Pável César (September 2012). "DISEÑO E IMPLEMENTACIÓN DE PLAN DE LUBRICACIÓN A MAQUINARIA Y EQUIPO DE GENERACIÓN ELÉCTRICA PLANTA LAS PALMAS II, DUKE ENERGY" (PDF). Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala, Facultad de Ingeniería.
- "Duke Energy Sells Latin American Businesses to I Squared Capital". LAVCA | The Association for Private Capital Investment in Latin America. December 20, 2016.
- "Resolución CNEE-245-2017" (PDF). CNEE (Comisión Nacional de Energía Eléctrica). November 28, 2017.
- "Informe Estadístico 2019" (PDF). AMM (Administrador del Mercado Mayorista). January 2020.
- "Del carbón a la energía limpia: Así son los nuevos contratos de generación de EEGSA". Prensa Libre. February 13, 2020.
- "Plan de Expansión del Sistema de Generación y Transporte 2020-2034 (p 53)" (PDF). Ministerio de Energía y Minas de Guatemala. 2020.